Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels Magazine: VE Commodore voted best car built in Australian history

schoey3

Bass heads ' r ' us
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega, 03 VY Exec
yeah the VE's!!

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
The VE? Are they friggin serious. Think its time I stopped reading the mag.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Everyone is always going to have difference point of view of the Best Car built in Australia. Its a matter of opinion.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Think about it. It's the "Best Car Built in Australia", not the "Best Built Car in Australia".

VE quality control could be better, but when you look at the rest of the Australian manufactured field both current and over years gone by, it's not a very strong competition. For its time, the VE is the best engineered, best handling/steering/most solid and durable vehicle built in Australia since car manufacture started here. The fact that it drops its bundle electronically, or has had dud timing chains or you don't like the styling, doesn't change the fact that the engineering and design effort that went into the car deserves recognition.

The other vehicles which made up the list of the best vehicles, contains some shockers by today's standards, but they were stand-outs when they were released. The HQ for example, was a brilliant design but a bloody awful handler, but its competition in 1971 was the last of the XY/XA/XB Falcons and the VH/VJ Valiants. (let's just ignore the P76.)

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Lol my grandad and my parents had P76s. Horrible horrible cars. Always smelt weird too.

I just see the whole ten best built car over the life time of the Aussie car industry as being a little silly. You can't fairly compare a car from now to a car from 30,40,50 years etc ago. Its like comparing LED tvs to a black and white tv. That's just the way I see it anyway.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Good to see the V2 Monaro in that grouping.