Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

when replacing a cam

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
is it advisable to also replace lifters??

i dont want to do an entire re-build (VT 5.0) ,

am doing head gaskets (and getting heads machined and valve service @ the same time) & thought while i was at it, i should put a lumpy cam in so at least all my hard work will result in a bit more grunt

just wondering if i should do the lifters if i do the cam>?

is there anything else i should consider replacing without spending a fortune?

i was thinking the timing chain as well, its not noisy or anything but i have had the car for 8 yrs and never replaced the timing chain

any tips would be appreciated

cheers

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
I would change the lifters and also go to a heavier timing chain and sprockets, you've gone this far its better doing the job 100% rather than having to crack your motor open after its all done and having to throw more $$$ money at it

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
I would change the lifters and also go to a heavier timing chain and sprockets, you've gone this far its better doing the job 100% rather than having to crack your motor open after its all done and having to throw more $$$ money at it

just remembered the 5.0 in VTs have roller rockers etc

but yea i am with you on the timing chain

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
I dont think it is as critical when you have roller lifters. You definatley change lifters with a flat tappet camshaft renewal.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
just remembered the 5.0 in VTs have roller rockers etc

but yea i am with you on the timing chain

I am aware of the roller rockers, but remember better doing the job once and enjoying your car, but nothing worse than starting all over again because you ran out of money or on a budget :thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Any work the old cam has done has been shared by the lifters. It's common sense and cheap insurance to replace the lot as a complete set - cam, lifters, timing gear and chain, and any tensioners. Even roller lifters develop wear patterns and putting them together with a new cam will only result in accellerated wear of the cam lobes.

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
copy that

looks like my proj will be

heads shaved/valves serviced
cam/lifters
timing chain

will be doing most of it myself, infact everything minus the machining of the head & valve service obviously

when is kevin 707 handing that 900 out? , i think i need it now :p

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
lol, aren't they still deciding if to hand out the $900 or not now, hope they hand it out, going to need it very soon.

yeh tops idea to do roller lifters as well, try HRT666 on here, he has a set of new crow cam roller lifters, i got a part number of him and they were for the vt 5ltr motor i believe, just double check the part number if you get it of him, i know he's selling them cheap, good luck with it, with a nice tune after will sound and go well, they always sound tough the efi 5ltr :thumbsup: