Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When VN S2 Start?

pro_gmh

Active Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
33
Location
SA, Mount Gambier
Members Ride
VL
after a quik search, couldnt find a clear answere. when did vn s2 start? also did the vp use the same gbox as vr? and did vr and did vr use the same gbox as vs? getrag??
 

1vngal

New Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,682
Reaction score
25
Points
0
Age
34
Location
North Tassie
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I'm pretty sure the Series II started around May?! 1991. I think it was May, I'm not sure bout VP and VR using the same gearbox, But I'm positive they did. And the VS had a different gearbox to the VR.
 

Nikkojoe

Member
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
344
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Perth
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
1vngal said:
I'm pretty sure the Series II started around May?! 1991. I think it was May, I'm not sure bout VP and VR using the same gearbox, But I'm positive they did. And the VS had a different gearbox to the VR.

VN S2 started in like August/September 1990, VP followed a year later. VP does not use the same gearbox as a VR. VR is computer controlled whereas VN-VP is kickdown cable controlled. VR/VS had the same box, 4L60-E (E for electronic controlled). That's for auto. For manual, VN-VS S1 used a Borg Warner T5 for the 5spd V6, and VS S2 used a 5spd Getrag.

For more info, visit http://www.users.on.net/~%20nweber/commodore/
 

1vngal

New Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,682
Reaction score
25
Points
0
Age
34
Location
North Tassie
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Nikkojoe said:
VN S2 started in like August/September 1990, VP followed a year later. VP does not use the same gearbox as a VR. VR is computer controlled whereas VN-VP is kickdown cable controlled. VR/VS had the same box, 4L60-E (E for electronic controlled). That's for auto. For manual, VN-VS S1 used a Borg Warner T5 for the 5spd V6, and VS S2 used a 5spd Getrag.

For more info, visit http://www.users.on.net/~%20nweber/commodore/
I thought the 1990 vn was classed as the "series 1.5" Meh, oh well....At least i know i was wrong now!
 

pro_gmh

Active Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
33
Location
SA, Mount Gambier
Members Ride
VL
S1.5?? what difference would there have been with that between 1 and 2?
 

Nikkojoe

Member
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
344
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Perth
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
1vngal said:
I thought the 1990 vn was classed as the "series 1.5" Meh, oh well....At least i know i was wrong now!
Nar, my vn is a Feb 1990 and its still a series 1. They were out for a very short time. Im sure it was around March/April when the S1.5 (twin water bottle design).

Basically S1 had the basic fwd buick motor converted to RWD. This ment that the thermostat was at the rear of the engine and had no radiator cap and overflow bottle. However, it did have a surge tank which you fill the water from. There were also various other internal differences.

Series 1.5 had an overflow bottle aswell as the surge tank and some slightly modified internal components, although remained pretty much like the S1

S2 is pretty much the same from VN S2-VR (Thermostat at the front of the engine, revised coil packs, bellmouth in thottlebody elbow, revised fuel rail are just some of the exterior changes). Only minor changes here and there from VNS2 to VR
 
Top