Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

when will last VF sell? place your bets

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I was pissed the new Hyundai I bought had 2klm's on it , my Holden was still close to zero new . It's all in the mind , and easily fixed with some self medication

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hardly helpful content just more nonsensical dribble

I will spell it out for you....I drove past the car yard at 4 O'Clock in the afternoon, on the way to a job, where I had to fix a tyre for a truck driver, that rang me. I didn't have time to call in on the way to the job and ask "how many new VF's do you have", because the truck driver was waiting for me to turn up, so he could hit the road again.

By the time I had finished the job, the car yard was closed and all I wanted to do was go home, because I'd just finished a 10 hour day....

So you tell me....What should I have done? Stopped on the way to the job and asked the sales staff how many they had and kept the customer waiting, or stopped on the way back and tried to see how many they had, or just report on what I saw at a glance driving past?

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Me, I’ve always felt that demos are simply used cars under another name.

In fact demonstrators can be worse than used cars with similar mileage as salesman care not one iota if during any test drive the prospective customers hammer the car when cold. Just like rentals, demo’s can be treated with a real lack of mechanical sympathy while private people tend to look after their cars.

Having said that, a 25km old demonstrator in the most is as good as new though I’d never pay RRP+ for it.

In terms of when the last VF will sell, surely the consensus must be to consider the sale of unregistered dealer held vehicles. Otherwise we’ll still be discussing this issue when the many unregistered yet squirrelled away privately held vehicle’s start to pop into the market place, some with delivery Kim’s, in around 25 years from now.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@vc commodore, I wouldn’t expect you to take time out of your day to check stuff for the forum unless you were interested in doing so. I certainly wouldn’t demand you do so or criticise you for not doing so or accuse you of not contributing to the thread. Best to ignore such nonsensical dribble.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
How many test drives do you think all these ‘demos’ with 15km on the clock have been taken on?

What difference in treatment do you think there has been between a demo with 25km on the clock & a new car with 25km on the clock? Let alone a new car with 70km on the clock?

Those cars they hang dealer plates off the back & use for test drives, they are ‘new’.

My last Ute before the Redline was an undriven demo with 15 delivery kilometres on the clock.

It was a plain Jane manual SS in ‘Poison Ivy’ and had been sitting on the lot for 4 months and they couldn’t sell it because it was an unpopular colour.

I had no intention of buying anything as I was just stickybeaking at the cars while my mate talked to sales about a Calais he was interested in.

I asked a wandering salesman why the green Ute was so cheap and he said it had been registered and sitting on the lot for too long and they had to get rid of it.

I thought I wouldn't mind another Ute and halfheartly offered him a price a few thousand below what they was asking and he said no it was already cut to the bone.

On our way home my mate got a phone call and they asked if I was still interested in the Ute at the price I offered so we went back and I bought it.

They only gave me the remaining 2 years and 8 months that was owed on the warranty and wouldn’t even throw in a set of floor mats but I didn’t care, for the price it was worth it.

It was built on 1 June, registered on 18 June and I purchased it on 21 Oct and even though it was a 4 month old registered undriven demo it still felt like a new car to me.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Funny to hear that Poison Ivy was an unpopular colour. Absolutely my favourite VE colour.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My definition of ‘sold’ and ‘used’ …
Sold, bought by a member of the public, and out the dealer's driveway.
Used, a new, undriven, unregistered, delivered on a truck, to be squirrelled away by an ‘investor’ to pop up in 1 or 25 years time.
If somebody found a new, genuine FX 48-215, in a barn tomorrow, how would that be best described ? Miracle, or BS, answers do not apply.

There is a company in Britain selling ‘new’ 1960s Morris Minis, problem is you have to supply a Mini first. They refurbish it, which could include a new body with the old VIN and compliance plates.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My point is, if the demo car with the same kms is cheaper than the new one, then fair enough. I think this is where the confusion lies. I was under the impression that you were suggesting both are identical and should be priced as such.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
My last Ute before the Redline was an undriven demo with 15 delivery kilometres on the clock.

It was a plain Jane manual SS in ‘Poison Ivy’ and had been sitting on the lot for 4 months and they couldn’t sell it because it was an unpopular colour.

I had no intention of buying anything as I was just stickybeaking at the cars while my mate talked to sales about a Calais he was interested in.

I asked a wandering salesman why the green Ute was so cheap and he said it had been registered and sitting on the lot for too long and they had to get rid of it.

I thought I wouldn't mind another Ute and halfheartly offered him a price a few thousand below what they was asking and he said no it was already cut to the bone.

On our way home my mate got a phone call and they asked if I was still interested in the Ute at the price I offered so we went back and I bought it.

They only gave me the remaining 2 years and 8 months that was owed on the warranty and wouldn’t even throw in a set of floor mats but I didn’t care, for the price it was worth it.

It was built on 1 June, registered on 18 June and I purchased it on 21 Oct and even though it was a 4 month old registered undriven demo it still felt like a new car to me.

When i bought my 2015 sv6 demo it had 4 klms on it. Less than any other (new) car at the dealership. Got a massive discount on new price and only lost 1 months warranty. To me that is a new car and smelt like a new car. Just my experience

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's not difficult for a new, unsold vehicle to accumulate 4 km during the manufacture drive off, transport to dealer and movement within a dealers yard prior to sale. In my opinion, whether its registered or not, its a brand new car, not a demo. However, if its registered and presented as a demonstrator, I would still look upon it as a brand new car, but expect a reduction in price in accordance with the normal practice when selling demonstrators. Obviously, with thr remaining unsold VF demos, the normal pricing practice is being ignored, despite the fact that these are no longer "new" cars.