Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When will the last VF 2 sell?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
On another thread, there has been a great deal of discussion regarding the purchase of VF2 V8 models before stock runs out. It's pretty obvious that the last new VF V8 will sell well before the last VF2 V6 goes and probably before Commodore production ceases altogether.

Holden claim that they have manufactured sufficient Alloytecs to see out planned production, and that the VF2 stocks will last until the NG is introduced around March 2018. It's more than likely that after October this year, they'll only have V6's left to sell.

A couple of questions then.

What do they sell if they run out of VF's altogether before March? Apart from the Colorado and dirt cheap Captivas, they don't seem to be selling much else.

Will the SV6 then sell out because it's generally the most popular model, leaving only Evokes and Calais to sell?

How long will it take to shift the last VF2?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. last VF will be sold sometime in the 2nd qrtr of 2018
as
Telstra Vicpol and the RTA have ordered vehicles on Holden ( a total of 2500 I believe) .. but have requested delivery
NOT to occur until 2018

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I reckon the V8s will end before the shutdown, because when they run out of engines, that’s it.
Could also be the case for the V6s, I don’t think there will be a stockpile of VFs before the NoGo Commodore, unless dealers make sales unattractive to the private sales sector by profiteering.
As for corporations wanting delivery in 2018, those cars will already be ‘sold’, unless the deal is cancelled.
For those wanting a large RWD car, panic is about to set in, creating a demand. There are discussions already on this forum about limited choice.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
They will not run out of V8's that's for sure, because they just import them engines in.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
They will not run out of V8's that's for sure, because they just import them engines in.

Unless I am very much mistaken, Holden have bought the last of the LS3 production, so it is not just a matter of importing them, there is no more.
Somebody please correct me if I am very much mistaken.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was of the same understanding as figjam.

If that's not the case, why all this limited allocation hullabaloo and not just build cars to demand ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I was of the same understanding as figjam.

If that's not the case, why all this limited allocation hullabaloo and not just build cars to demand ?

not hullabaloo in my opinion....
Holden have limited V8 engines (ditto V6) and they are building only a certain qty of each.

They have allowed for the Chevy USA export program, the police and large customer orders (not sales yet), HSV builds
and will build accordingly based on remaining days of production.

And to get this happening, they have allocated each dealer a certain number of V8 models (SS SSv Redline etc)
and once sold... NO MORE .!

I have seen the correspondence from Holden to 2 dealers on this. One of them was selling about 450 V8 Commodore
models a year in the past (out of a total of 800 cars) .... this year they got allocated 186 . Thats it... not one more.
And V6 models are only being built to a 'deposit paid' retail customer or 'purchase order received' from a business customer
AND proof of these have to be supplied to Holden before they will put a car on the line

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I must have been dreaming.
Sometime ago, somewhere,( in a galaxy far, far away) I read production of the Mexican ls3 was ceasing as it did not meet emissions standards anymore, that Holden (who have an exemption from the Euro4 emissions ?? ) had bought the last of the ls3 engines, and once they were gone, game over.
But I can’t find any reference to that now.
Yes, GM are going to continue with various V8s, in US pick-ups (utes), because trucks don’t have the same regulations as passenger cars.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
not hullabaloo in my opinion....
Holden have limited V8 engines (ditto V6) and they are building only a certain qty of each.

They have allowed for the Chevy USA export program, the police and large customer orders (not sales yet), HSV builds
and will build accordingly based on remaining days of production.

And to get this happening, they have allocated each dealer a certain number of V8 models (SS SSv Redline etc)
and once sold... NO MORE .!

I have seen the correspondence from Holden to 2 dealers on this. One of them was selling about 450 V8 Commodore
models a year in the past (out of a total of 800 cars) .... this year they got allocated 186 . Thats it... not one more.
And V6 models are only being built to a 'deposit paid' retail customer or 'purchase order received' from a business customer
AND proof of these have to be supplied to Holden before they will put a car on the line

Yep, that was my understanding.