Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where are the VXR owners?

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by Paul Cordingley, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
    I'd love to hear a review from an owner ...

2. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    .. there are not any!

coz it is a pile of shite!

have had several test drives
    (inc 2 days over a weekend)
    and
    it is one terrible auto! Seats are crap
    ( a park bench is more comfortable)
    auto not fantastic despite Holden's claims
    suspension belongs on a 17T truck
    rear view is terrible, the only thing
    I liked was the Brembos

worth it or value for money??? nope...

Fu Manchu likes this.
  3. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Don’t hold back Smitty, tell us what you really think:p.

I thought most reviews at least praised the seats and generally said the ride & handling, acceleration, equipment levels etc were superior to VF 6s?? (wouldn’t be fair to compare it to an 8 as that would be comparing apples with lemons).

That said, I don’t doubt your years of experience Smitty nor your test drive in this case (which I haven’t)...I’m just a bit surprised seats, suspension etc is that bad.

4. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    in my opinion... Holden have tried too hard with the specs to make it the 'sort of' SS we are not getting with ZB.

In each of the VXRs I have driven ...
    The seats are the worst things I have ever encountered (think sitting on a brick fence or park bench)
    The suspension may work in Germany on the autobahns but not here. Join strips in the bitumen jolt
    badly (made worse by the unforgiving seats) and handling is affected as the suspension is far too stiff
    A SV6 is a far better handler .. with a suspension set up that works in Australian conditions
    There is no way I would drive a VXR from say.... Melbourne to Adelaide (or Sydney to Brisbane) as you
    would want to get out and torch it after a couple of hours .... it really is that uncomfortable. An SV6 will do these
    trips in a doddle and you will get out at the end, quite fresh, not so in a VXR

Yes, It probably accelerates faster than a VF SV6 (it is over 300 kg lighter) but how often can you
    use that these days ?

The auto trans in a VXR (unlike the unit in the 4cyl ZBs) works against it. Super fast in changes
    but it is super sensitive and it 'hunts'. Travel slowly in traffic at say 35-40kmh and it changes up,
    changes down, changes up, changes down.. continually. All versions I drove did this... and it did my
    head in

It does have better brakes than a SV6 (it should with the Brembos)

The previous INSIGNIA VXR (on which it is based) had a bad rep here ... and did not sell
    ( I know some dealers who still have new car stock 3 years later) The ZB VXR is modelled
    on that and Holden have just got it wrong

Pablito and tuckerbag like this.
  5. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    Add to that the fact they want $60,890 drive away for it.........

The reality is it has 10kw more than a Camry and is more expensive than a VF2 Redline which was about 59K drive away pre 2017 inflated prices.
    Over priced and under powered basically.

_R_J_K_, tuckerbag and Smitty like this.
  6. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Cheers for the added explanation Smitty...I’m not likely to have an opportunity to drive one myself - certainly not going to waste time with a test drive when I have no intention of trading what we have & I can’t think of anyone I know that is likely to buy one either.

Smitty likes this.
  7. ratsmow

ratsmow Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro
    Nice, hang on to your VE/VFs gents. My wife has a VE sv6, I reckon it's a great car, and for the money you can't beat it.

8. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    And that the sticker price for the latest gen STI or Evo was about 57k... Or that price and engine against a Mustang or a Stinger. And the fact that most of these have much better aftermarket support. Making it auto only didn't work in it's favour either. Coulda been exciting but Holden bought the most boring variants in.

Say what you want about the base 4cyl models, but even on paper the VXR AWD trim represents pretty bad value with those numbers.

9. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    GM not Holden.

snortings, lmoengnr and _R_J_K_ like this.
  10. Tezza's ZB

Tezza's ZB Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
    interesting to read these older posts.. then read about my car that in another thread went viral and degenerated .. My ZB is the real flagship...with an engine praised big time, and not much slower than the vxr ..Its the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo.. the entry model the LT you don't need to buy the RS ...save 3 grand. i got a demo for 28k b4 my trade in Apr 2019 with 3years free servicing and 5 year warranty...brilliant say the motoring reviewers. brilliant says me .. so quick, so solid, so agile etc

atimicute, abuch47 and Smitty like this.
  11. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    Don't flatter yourself......The only thing viral in that other thread is the dribble that you continue to post

12. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    Enough Tezza ffs. You're saying the same shite over and over to the same people.
    Go to an Audi or BMW forum and tell them how silly they are for spending all that money when they could have had the bestest car ever made for only 28k.

13. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    I own one, so I thought I would respond to Smitty's opinion. I'll start with what I agree with him on:

The brakes are pretty good. I can repeatedly brake hard and there's no fade. I shudder to think about buying new pads, but that's a while away for me at least.
    The acceleration while brisk is not stupidly fast. While for me it's fast enough, I do have question marks as it's marketed as a performance car (which it certainly ain't).
    The old Insignia was a sales disaster, but that is a proven historical fact.

Where we might agree to disagree:

The seats. I fit quite snugly in them being 1.85m and 120kg, but I drove it for a couple of hours straight and I was fine. I admit that they were a concern for me and I will agree that the VF II SV6 seats are more luxurious, but once the VXR seat is properly set up (it takes about 5 minutes to muck around with the seat controls) it's more than fine. I'd be more than happy to drive one interstate in Australia.
    I flatly disagree that the SV6 can out handle the VXR. Superior handling is one of the reasons I chose to buy it. In the wet especially I've no doubt a SV6 would struggle to keep up with me in the twisty stuff.
    In terms of ride however I agree, the chassis definitely feels stiffer than the SV6. But the VXR is no Calais, it's meant to have that hard edge to it.
    I've had no problems with gear hunting in my car at slow speed, in my opinion the transmission is another high point of the ZB range.

Badgerdog likes this.
  14. Tezza's ZB

Tezza's ZB Member

Members Ride:
    wel
    People can't cope with getting criticised and then try to defend the poor stuff they have written. The ' in my opinion ' comments were analysed and exposed some very poor attitudes to safety features in cars as gizmos . I was also relentlessly pursued. I called it as it emerged. The repetition was there as I see so many people can cars for for ill thought out comments. I don't apologise.

atimicute and abuch47 like this.
  15. Tonner Matt

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    This is getting funnier by the post
    You now imply that you're somehow qualified to "analyse" other peoples opinions
    Reality is you just can't accept that your opinions are no more valid or important than someone else's

16. Tezza's ZB

Tezza's ZB Member

Members Ride:
    I promise this will be my last comment here.
    Can't you see that when someone makes broad critical and unresearched comments and I retort that when these are unpacked, that is, detailed, their opinion is exposed because facts demonstrate that their opinion is simply just not correct. I can see you too would have a lot of trouble accepting criticism too.
    The good news is that I won't write another word on this thread.
    I am interested in road law and think I can be very even and tempered in expressing my views and hearing what others say. Please resist flogging me saying that. Not sure yet where I can put this thread, I will have

abuch47 likes this.
  17. Tonner Matt

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    As expected, more of the same opinions and facts dribble
    This again only highlights that you simply can't accept different views & opinions about the ZB and move on
    With the amount of repetitive comments from you, I'm also thinking that you're one of those Holden Online Stooges
    You know, the ones that've been let loose recently to rectify anything posted online that is not 100% positive in Holden's favour

Criticise away until your hearts content ol' mate....I drive the following:
    # A V8 VZ 1 Tonner with only 1 airbag and ABS brakes
    # A VY V6 with only 1 airbag
    Yeah that's right, 2 aussie built commodores without any fancy gizmo's and minimal safety features from the factory
    I'm really looking forward to reading your opinions and professional analysis on this

Don't make promises you can't keep....It's not a professional thing to do

18. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Pot...Kettle...Black....

Fu Manchu and Tonner Matt like this.
  19. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    What do you think of the heated seats mate ? Are they HOT on level 3 or what :) Talk about the perfect solution to a freezing cold winter in N.Z. !

20. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    Very toasty indeed :D