Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where are the VXR owners?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
read about my car that in another thread went viral

Don't flatter yourself......The only thing viral in that other thread is the dribble that you continue to post

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Enough Tezza ffs. You're saying the same shite over and over to the same people.
Go to an Audi or BMW forum and tell them how silly they are for spending all that money when they could have had the bestest car ever made for only 28k.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
in my opinion... Holden have tried too hard with the specs to make it the 'sort of' SS we are not getting with ZB.

In each of the VXRs I have driven ...
The seats are the worst things I have ever encountered (think sitting on a brick fence or park bench)
The suspension may work in Germany on the autobahns but not here. Join strips in the bitumen jolt
badly (made worse by the unforgiving seats) and handling is affected as the suspension is far too stiff
A SV6 is a far better handler .. with a suspension set up that works in Australian conditions
There is no way I would drive a VXR from say.... Melbourne to Adelaide (or Sydney to Brisbane) as you
would want to get out and torch it after a couple of hours .... it really is that uncomfortable. An SV6 will do these
trips in a doddle and you will get out at the end, quite fresh, not so in a VXR

Yes, It probably accelerates faster than a VF SV6 (it is over 300 kg lighter) but how often can you
use that these days ?

The auto trans in a VXR (unlike the unit in the 4cyl ZBs) works against it. Super fast in changes
but it is super sensitive and it 'hunts'. Travel slowly in traffic at say 35-40kmh and it changes up,
changes down, changes up, changes down.. continually. All versions I drove did this... and it did my
head in

It does have better brakes than a SV6 (it should with the Brembos)

The previous INSIGNIA VXR (on which it is based) had a bad rep here ... and did not sell
( I know some dealers who still have new car stock 3 years later) The ZB VXR is modelled
on that and Holden have just got it wrong

I own one, so I thought I would respond to Smitty's opinion. I'll start with what I agree with him on:

The brakes are pretty good. I can repeatedly brake hard and there's no fade. I shudder to think about buying new pads, but that's a while away for me at least.
The acceleration while brisk is not stupidly fast. While for me it's fast enough, I do have question marks as it's marketed as a performance car (which it certainly ain't).
The old Insignia was a sales disaster, but that is a proven historical fact.

Where we might agree to disagree:

The seats. I fit quite snugly in them being 1.85m and 120kg, but I drove it for a couple of hours straight and I was fine. I admit that they were a concern for me and I will agree that the VF II SV6 seats are more luxurious, but once the VXR seat is properly set up (it takes about 5 minutes to muck around with the seat controls) it's more than fine. I'd be more than happy to drive one interstate in Australia.
I flatly disagree that the SV6 can out handle the VXR. Superior handling is one of the reasons I chose to buy it. In the wet especially I've no doubt a SV6 would struggle to keep up with me in the twisty stuff.
In terms of ride however I agree, the chassis definitely feels stiffer than the SV6. But the VXR is no Calais, it's meant to have that hard edge to it.
I've had no problems with gear hunting in my car at slow speed, in my opinion the transmission is another high point of the ZB range.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
Don't flatter yourself......The only thing viral in that other thread is the dribble that you continue to post
wel
Enough Tezza ffs. You're saying the same shite over and over to the same people.
Go to an Audi or BMW forum and tell them how silly they are for spending all that money when they could have had the bestest car ever made for only 28k.
People can't cope with getting criticised and then try to defend the poor stuff they have written. The ' in my opinion ' comments were analysed and exposed some very poor attitudes to safety features in cars as gizmos . I was also relentlessly pursued. I called it as it emerged. The repetition was there as I see so many people can cars for for ill thought out comments. I don't apologise.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The ' in my opinion ' comments were analysed and exposed some very poor attitudes to safety features in cars as gizmos

This is getting funnier by the post
You now imply that you're somehow qualified to "analyse" other peoples opinions
Reality is you just can't accept that your opinions are no more valid or important than someone else's

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
This is getting funnier by the post
You now imply that you're somehow qualified to "analyse" other peoples opinions
Reality is you just can't accept that your opinions are no more valid or important than someone else's
I promise this will be my last comment here.
Can't you see that when someone makes broad critical and unresearched comments and I retort that when these are unpacked, that is, detailed, their opinion is exposed because facts demonstrate that their opinion is simply just not correct. I can see you too would have a lot of trouble accepting criticism too.
The good news is that I won't write another word on this thread.
I am interested in road law and think I can be very even and tempered in expressing my views and hearing what others say. Please resist flogging me saying that. Not sure yet where I can put this thread, I will have

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can't you see that when someone makes broad critical and unresearched comments and I retort that when these are unpacked, that is, detailed, their opinion is exposed because facts demonstrate that their opinion is simply just not correct

As expected, more of the same opinions and facts dribble
This again only highlights that you simply can't accept different views & opinions about the ZB and move on
With the amount of repetitive comments from you, I'm also thinking that you're one of those Holden Online Stooges
You know, the ones that've been let loose recently to rectify anything posted online that is not 100% positive in Holden's favour

I can see you too would have a lot of trouble accepting criticism too

Criticise away until your hearts content ol' mate....I drive the following:
# A V8 VZ 1 Tonner with only 1 airbag and ABS brakes
# A VY V6 with only 1 airbag
Yeah that's right, 2 aussie built commodores without any fancy gizmo's and minimal safety features from the factory
I'm really looking forward to reading your opinions and professional analysis on this

I promise this will be my last comment here.

Don't make promises you can't keep....It's not a professional thing to do

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I own one, so I thought I would respond to Smitty's opinion. I'll start with what I agree with him on:

The brakes are pretty good. I can repeatedly brake hard and there's no fade. I shudder to think about buying new pads, but that's a while away for me at least.
The acceleration while brisk is not stupidly fast. While for me it's fast enough, I do have question marks as it's marketed as a performance car (which it certainly ain't).
The old Insignia was a sales disaster, but that is a proven historical fact.

Where we might agree to disagree:

The seats. I fit quite snugly in them being 1.85m and 120kg, but I drove it for a couple of hours straight and I was fine. I admit that they were a concern for me and I will agree that the VF II SV6 seats are more luxurious, but once the VXR seat is properly set up (it takes about 5 minutes to muck around with the seat controls) it's more than fine. I'd be more than happy to drive one interstate in Australia.
I flatly disagree that the SV6 can out handle the VXR. Superior handling is one of the reasons I chose to buy it. In the wet especially I've no doubt a SV6 would struggle to keep up with me in the twisty stuff.
In terms of ride however I agree, the chassis definitely feels stiffer than the SV6. But the VXR is no Calais, it's meant to have that hard edge to it.
I've had no problems with gear hunting in my car at slow speed, in my opinion the transmission is another high point of the ZB range.
What do you think of the heated seats mate ? Are they HOT on level 3 or what :) Talk about the perfect solution to a freezing cold winter in N.Z. !