Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where are the VXR owners?

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by Paul Cordingley, Oct 22, 2018.

1. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V Tourer
    So the RSV rims fit ok on the Calais V ? I know the vxr can't have other models rims due to the larger brembo brakes. I might look into this as I am currently considering a Calais v tourer but would prefer the liftback .

2. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    They fit fine mate as the Calais V has the standard brakes so no issues at all swapping over 18 inch tyres and rims from an RSV, provided you can find a dealership that will do this for you !

3. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V Tourer
    Yes well there are places selling the rims on eBay. Might go down that path.

4. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    Its weird how 18 inch tyres are so much cheaper than 20 inch. That's another benefit of switching to 18 inch rims.

5. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    I didn't test drive a Calais-V so I cannot compare them.

6. tuckerbag

tuckerbag Active Member

Members Ride:
    vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
    I reckon the dealers will do anything to get rid of the pos

wetwork65 likes this.
  7. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    Just been thinking again about the auto lane keep and for want of a better term 'crash alert' features...

Not overly impressed on auto lane keeping on any car I've actually driven myself:
    - Worst ever was a current model (hire car) Corolla where this function rendered the car almost undriveable, constantly tugging at the wheel, and becoming confused if for example an overtaking lane were to run out. Needless to dsy turned it off.
    - ZB not as bad as this, but have done a number of tests involving removing my hands from the wheel (only just removed) to see what it would do, and on at least one in three occasions the system would fail to recognise that the car was changing lanes, or wandering off the road. On the other hand it would also from time to time try to make unnecessary corrections which is quite distracting and tiring. Makes it feel like a worn steering rack and too much negative camber...
    - Had a ride a few months back in a late model midsize Mercedes Diesel taxi where the system worked perfectly, driver could take his hands off the wheel for extended periods whilst doing 70 in the left lane with only about 50 cms either side of the car, and trees only a metre to the left, and it would remain exactly in the middle of the lane with no input whatsoever from him.
    - Which brings me to the question, if the 'system' makes more mistakes than I do, is it really providing a safety backup, or just a false, and annoying sense of security??? I just turn it off and don't lose any sleep since it is still better than the Corolla, and not as pricey as the Merc - but hopefully ANCAP aren't giving out extra points for imaginary safety?

The 'crash alert' or whatever its called seems quite good, eg. flashes up a warning if it appears I might be closing too quickly on another car or eg. pedestrian, and seems to go off appropriately, so kudos for this.

8. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
  9. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    I'm underwhelmed by both systems, (you should not in any way rely on either to be very accurate and / or operationally effective), which are a generation behind the very best Euro systems. I try and remember to turn off lane keep assist every time I get in my car and wish I could turn off forward collision alert.

I was fortunate enough to drive a current model BMW 750 a little while back which makes a good job of keeping the car centered right in the middle of the lane (where its clearly marked on both sides, e.g. motorway lanes) and in conjunction with a very good adaptive cruise control system, comes as close as I've experienced to real semi autonomous driving.

Probably unrealistic of us to expect that the systems in our cars are right up to the same standard of BMW and Mercedes-Benz as those companies have been investing tens of billions trying to advance their autonomous driving technology.

10. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    The biggest problem I have with lane keep assist is that it's not 100% reliable in terms of recognizing your lane. In the wet, when it's dark or when you are on an unpainted road you can forget about lane keep assist.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  11. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    Even on a motorway with clear markings on both sides of the lane, I have found the system to be less than completely reliable when testing it in a hands off situation, no rain and clear visibility. In my view the weaknesses of the system are such that it renders it operationally ineffective.

12. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II - Black Edition
    I just committed to a VXR today (also not full price - nowhere near :). I currently drive a VF2 Black Edition. The VF2 is sounding tired after 60K kms.

arsevee and StrayKiwi like this.
  13. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    I am really interested to hear your thoughts on the VXR after driving both back to back. I still haven't had the opportunity to drive a VF2 SV6 yet.

14. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    When do you get it? :)

15. DG355

DG355 Member

Members Ride:
    VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
    Just read through some old stuff from this thread and they’ve copped some flack. I’ve got a VF clubsport, a bit angry 355 VS and a VXR. All very different but all good to drive.
    The VXR is just for cruising around not track days(you would buy for this reason anyway). I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. Wasn’t that keen on it initially but is nice to drive and the looks have grown on me. Especially from rear at the side...

StrayKiwi and Mike Lowry like this.
  16. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry New Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks, Definitely softer than the VFII but it is euro. Picked up on Tuesday, enjoying all the tech.

arsevee likes this.
  17. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry New Member

Members Ride:
    Picked up on Tuesday

18. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry New Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah, The VXR is a softer car (did not try VXR mode yet). Very refined compared to the VFII SV6. The VXR is luxury and sports at the same time. Has lots of tech including Android Auto and Apple Car play which helps that I don't need to use the inbuilt nav.

19. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    You really should try VXR mode out. It's one of the major reasons I didn't buy a RS-V or a Calais-V.

arsevee likes this.
  20. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    VXR mode and another 100 kw's and these things would be a real weapon.

StrayKiwi likes this.