Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where are the VXR owners?

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Over the weekend I had a conversation around a BBQ with new car sales person who works for a Holden dealer in Adelaide - they said the dealership was having no problems shifting liftback models - they are selling them as quickly as they are getting them in and currently had no stock of liftbacks. He said the exceptions were wagons and VXR - they currently arent moving that well.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Over the weekend I had a conversation around a BBQ with new car sales person who works for a Holden dealer in Adelaide - they said the dealership was having no problems shifting liftback models - they are selling them as quickly as they are getting them in and currently had no stock of liftbacks. He said the exceptions were wagons and VXR - they currently arent moving that well.
Good to hear that liftbacks going well from a car salesman.
VXR looks pricey and they don't seem to be able (or want) to communicate the car's capabilities and technology on board.
Surprising he would admit problems with the wagons, makes sense though since wagons generally seem to be out of fashion. They should really be the SUV equivalent, whilst the liftback = sedan. That said, sedans are out of favour as well.
If they are running short, there should be plenty of stock of all variants available around the country just a phone call away. Even my local dealer in Sydney has stock.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Would I pay full retail for a VXR? Hell no, so I didn't.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Funny that the wagons aren't moving - hardly weigh any more than the sedan so perform pretty much the same I would imagine, and the extra room in the back makes them a lot more versatile...

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Funny that the wagons aren't moving - hardly weigh any more than the sedan so perform pretty much the same I would imagine, and the extra room in the back makes them a lot more versatile...

Ironically the wagon significantly outsells the sedan in the USA.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
VXR same power as RS and RSV. Enough to deter a lot of people from buying one. Although I think the liftback looks good with the VXR wheels.
Needs forced induction to make it standout from the crowd Maybe the twin turbo coming out in the new Corbette? Can’t see that happening.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I've never been fond of station wagon's and am not surprised they're not selling well. I think the liftback is a much more stylish looking car.

235 kw's is okay. If you're after really strong performance you'll need to buy something else and good luck with doing that at a reasonable price.

VXR offers a few extra nice bits over my Calais V. Special seats, (I didn't fit comfortably in them so that ruled me out), Brembo's, adjustable suspension including VXR mode and top line Michelin pilot sport tyres, (although well worth noting that the Continental sport contact 5 rubber on Calais is some excellent kit too).

I think as a handling package VXR makes a good case for itself with the adjustable suspension and VXR mode as well as the Brembo brakes.

Whether its worth the cost premium over a Calais V I am not so sure. Best for buyers to try both and make up their own mind.
Drive a 2.0 RS while you're at it...you might really like the little 2.0 turbo engine and they weigh about 200 kg's less so they're quite nimble.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
VXR same power as RS and RSV. Enough to deter a lot of people from buying one. Although I think the liftback looks good with the VXR wheels.
Needs forced induction to make it standout from the crowd Maybe the twin turbo coming out in the new Corbette? Can’t see that happening.

I agree. I've said previously, Holden should/could have done a number on the engine to boost the HP over what you can get in the RS-V. Cadillac have got 250kw from the atmo LGX in their cars, so similar should be possible in the VXR. I can think of two reasons why it may not have been possible: 1) cost, and 2) a lack of space in the engine bay for the required equipment. It's already a pretty tight fit as it is.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Would the VXR in "Tour" mode be a smoother ride than a Calais V? Same size rims but the VXR same adjustable dampers whereas the Calais V had fixed. I read where the Calais V has the harshest ride but without trying both it would be hard to tell.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Would the VXR in "Tour" mode be a smoother ride than a Calais V? Same size rims but the VXR same adjustable dampers whereas the Calais V had fixed. I read where the Calais V has the harshest ride but without trying both it would be hard to tell.
I opted for 18 inch rims and 45 profile tyres off an RSV to give a better ride quality and am very pleased I did.
Gives a good compromise between comfort and handling.