Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where can i get my fuel return line inside the tank replaced?

b3h3m07h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Acclaim Wagon
started to get the stalls when turning right and the car won't start when parked on the side of the road left hand side lower than the right so hopped on here and it seems like my return fuel line inside the tank has come off. so to clarify it i removed the tank then the pump with the stalk its attached too and what do ya know, the hose is lose inside the tank. Then i think how the hell am i going to get another one screwed onto the swirl pot through that little hole? did some more research and it looked like you gotta have the tank cut then welded up again which i dont have the tools for. Is there any business's in Adelaide that i can take it to have it done or anyone around Edwardstown that could help me out?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Easier and probably cheaper to get a second hand tank from a wreckers.

b3h3m07h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Acclaim Wagon
i was thinking of that but wouldn't the fuel line in a second hand one be stuffed as well? especially if its the same age as the tank ive got now.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My VS has original tank with the original return hose(I replaced my pump not to long ago and checked out the return hose,swirl pot etc)and it still seems fine.It was still connected to the swirl pot.If you get a second hand tank just make sure the hose is connected to the swirl pot before you buy it.I think most of the time the return hose gets broken from bodgey mechanics/backyarders when they change the fuel pump.Theres a quick connector that connects the return hose to the pump assembly and I think some people dont know how to undo them properly.Theres a special tool you use to undo them or you can make one easily enough.

b3h3m07h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Acclaim Wagon
ok so if i do need to get a second hand tank and mine cannot be repaired would i have to get one out of another vr series 1 wagon or would a tank from say a series 2 or even a vs series 1, 2 or 3 work?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Ask at a gas conversion place as they cut+shut petrol tanks for gas conversions.

b3h3m07h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Acclaim Wagon
just an update, today i went to repco to get a replacement fuel hose, same one as "woteva" purchased, and gave my girlfriend a call to see if she could try squeeze her hand into the tank and guess what she could plus we found out that the venturi actually pops out of the swirl pot. after we got that out i was able to attach the new hose to the venturi and the sender unit and then by guiding the venturi into the hole it came out of (on the side of the swirl pot) i was able to align it and then with a long screwdriver (flathead) i was able to clip it back in. All i need to do now is clean it out with water, then metho and mount it back in the car and it should be sweet. So if anyone else has this same problem all you need to do is get a long rod with a hook at the end or a chick with tiny hands and thin arms to pull the venturi out, no welding required.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
thankyou for that info b3h3[v]07h i was just about ready to cut my tank open after just painting it gloss black :eek:

I was planning on trying to get my missus to undo the hose clamp first but I had little hope of her achieving that lol but sure enough the venturi popped out just like you said :)

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
should I pay a mechanic to do this, cos I know a shitty backyard mechanic broke mine, but i havent taken it back cos i didnt think he would fix it. he had no ###n clue wat he was doing. what should i do? anyone know?