Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where could this coolant spray be coming from?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
So I'm constantly having issues with my VZ. I've only had the car for maybe 2 months and I've already had to do the coils, heater tap and a heater hose. Im still losing coolant but I can't see a leak anywhere. I took it to a radiator place, and got a gas test done and apparently, no issues there. Done a pressure test, and it IS losing pressure. I noticed this and am wondering where the spray could possibly be coming from?

Screenshot_20190512-093914-412.jpg

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Have a good look at the water pump when hot, also anywhere around the front of the engine getting fanned back.
I have not looked in a while but is the radiator bleed up top on the drivers side ?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
o ring on the fuller tube where the cap crews on and thermostat housing at the rear are the most common faults where leaks come from than you only got the water pump radiator and hoses and you have change the heater tap
you see any leaks on the floor front or back of engine

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
At the back of the engine it could be spraying up from your thermostat housing
Or blowing back from a leak at the front as rambunctious said. Looking under the car between the engine and transmission should tell you if it's got pink stains everywhere it's probably a thermostat housing leak.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
I had a problem with my VZ Adventra and although I wasn't getting a spray pattern, I was losing coolant. Turned out the non-genuine (but brand new) radiator cap I used was the issue. I replaced it with a updated genuine radiator cap and the problem was solved. This is the redesigned genuine cap I bought. Not sure if this relates to your issue, but something to consider if you start running out of options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radiato...m41caaa29d4:g:GWwAAOSweTlbxAR7&frcectupt=true

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Coolant pump inlet or outlet gasket leaking, often as a fine spray that can leave a tell-tale puddle down on the oil sump casing. Often undetectable when cold, but will spray everything at operating pressure.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Suggest you give the engine a good clean. Having done so you will have a much better chance of actually identifying the source of the leak. If there is evidence of coolant at the top front of the engine (immediately below where the front of the intake cover sticks out) and or at the back of the engine,

Coolant leak from the water inlet spout to the engine block is very common. There are two sealing inserts, an 'O' ring and a rectangular shaped piece. There are numerous 'how to do it' on You Tube. This one is fairly good and detailed, follow it and you won't (shouldn't) get it wrong
. Only suggestion I would make is to ensure that you clean up the metal water inlet once the seals have been removed. Any rubbish left in the small openings for the seals will probably cause it to start leaking again.