Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where do i mount my Cross over box?! VT!. HELP!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the best and easiest spot to put them is ontop the the black plastic guards under the glove box and steering column. you can get to them easily and, also the are more importantly, secured.

also i have no idea what strechomatic is on about. i cannot see how you could possibly get worse staging from aiming the tweeters DIRECTLY at you over the stock location under the demister vents. just because holden made it that way doesn't mean its the best way.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
the best and easiest spot to put them is ontop the the black plastic guards under the glove box and steering column. you can get to them easily and, also the are more importantly, secured.

also i have no idea what strechomatic is on about. i cannot see how you could possibly get worse staging from aiming the tweeters DIRECTLY at you over the stock location under the demister vents. just because holden made it that way doesn't mean its the best way.

stock location in the commodore? as in those lil speakers right up near the windscreen? i didnt evan no those were speakers? LOL (havent had the commo long ) so there actual speakers? o_O random

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yer man. they are speakers.
Tweeters to be exact, never knew they were actually stock in commodores :S

Ah well, ripped em out and put in the alpine ones he he :)

Just finished my install then, man they pump!
They are only running on 50wrms atm though,

need to bridge the channels and get more juice!!

Still need to do the cosmetics though, mounting amps, crossovers and putting back all the trims!
ah happy days lol, ill do all that tomorrow. right now its shower then bed!

Thanks for all your help guys ill post up some pics tomorrow

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
Yer man. they are speakers.
Tweeters to be exact, never knew they were actually stock in commodores :S

Ah well, ripped em out and put in the alpine ones he he :)

Just finished my install then, man they pump!
They are only running on 50wrms atm though,

need to bridge the channels and get more juice!!

Still need to do the cosmetics though, mounting amps, crossovers and putting back all the trims!
ah happy days lol, ill do all that tomorrow. right now its shower then bed!

Thanks for all your help guys ill post up some pics tomorrow

so infact the commo's come standard with splits? o_O are they just mids in the doors? i havent looked yet? also do u recon i could fit 6 1/2 in the doors of a vs no worrys?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
VT onwards have standard splits; tweeter up in the dash which is high passed (only sent high frequencies) and a woofer in the door that is sent full range (no filters on it).

Anyway, back to the original question... My crossovers were placed in the side of the dash behind the side panels that vent your air con into the door.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
so infact the commo's come standard with splits? o_O are they just mids in the doors? i havent looked yet? also do u recon i could fit 6 1/2 in the doors of a vs no worrys?
generally you can just trim the plastic pod to fit the speakers.
some people need/want to make mdf spacers because they want something more sturdy for the speakers to be mounted on.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
generally you can just trim the plastic pod to fit the speakers.
some people need/want to make mdf spacers because they want something more sturdy for the speakers to be mounted on.

I had to trim my VT Pods to fir the Alpine Type R's, they are 6.5inch speakers.
They fit well.

Also what would happen if i ran 130wrms to 110wrms speakers??
Would they blow or just not use the full current?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
just set ur gains 2 suit and they should b fine, if ur gains r set 2 high they will distort and sound poo

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
just set ur gains 2 suit and they should b fine, if ur gains r set 2 high they will distort and sound poo

How do i set my gains correctly?
Currently i have a 2 champ amp bridged at 180wrms running my sub, but i dont know if ive even set the gains correctly on that.

My speakers are connected to a clarion 4 chan which can do 4x50 or 2x130,

Should i keep my alpines at 50wrms or pump em to 130.
How do i know when my gains are adjusted accordingly?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
basicly u gotta use ur ears and listen 4 distortion. 2 set the gains turn the gains all the way down fully, fade all ur sound into the 2 front speakers using the head unit, then turn the speaker volume on the head unit up fully. then from there using ur front gain control on the amp slowly turn it up until u hear the speakers faintly distort, then after uve found that spot where it distorts turn ur gain back down a lil.

doin this will allow u 2 turn ur head units volume right up and also will protect ur speakers if some clown decides 2 jump in n crank ur speakers as loud as they can go with out knowing at wat ur volume limits r.

if u still need 2 change some settings on ur head unit 2 make it sound better do so and then adjust ur gains 2 suit again, then adjust ur rears the same way.