Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where do i mount my Cross over box?! VT!. HELP!

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
basicly u gotta use ur ears and listen 4 distortion. 2 set the gains turn the gains all the way down fully, fade all ur sound into the 2 front speakers using the head unit, then turn the speaker volume on the head unit up fully. then from there using ur front gain control on the amp slowly turn it up until u hear the speakers faintly distort, then after uve found that spot where it distorts turn ur gain back down a lil.

doin this will allow u 2 turn ur head units volume right up and also will protect ur speakers if some clown decides 2 jump in n crank ur speakers as loud as they can go with out knowing at wat ur volume limits r.

if u still need 2 change some settings on ur head unit 2 make it sound better do so and then adjust ur gains 2 suit again, then adjust ur rears the same way.

Thanks alot mate! That was really helpful.

Would you recommend i run the speakers at 130wrms or 50wrms?

All it does it makes it louder doesn't it?

Also does the same principle apply to a sub?
Seems kinda hard to know how to adjust the gains for that lol, i guess until the bass distorts?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yeah same 4 the sub 2 somtimes u may need 2 change this depending on wat sorta music is being played but if u dont have a sub controller with the amp u might b able 2 adjust this using ur head unit

really its up 2 u if u want it bridged at 130rms or not listen 2 both and see wat u rekon sounds best in ur car and with the set up u have. after uve dun that and ur happy with it u may just needa do some tweeking with the gains 2 get it all 2 sound good with all the speakers and the sub running 2gether and thats just playing with ur gains again or settings on the head unit, if ur not sure after uve dun all this take it 2 a car audio place they shouldnt charge u nething 2 fine tune ur system.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
basicly u gotta use ur ears and listen 4 distortion. 2 set the gains turn the gains all the way down fully, fade all ur sound into the 2 front speakers using the head unit, then turn the speaker volume on the head unit up fully. then from there using ur front gain control on the amp slowly turn it up until u hear the speakers faintly distort, then after uve found that spot where it distorts turn ur gain back down a lil.

doin this will allow u 2 turn ur head units volume right up and also will protect ur speakers if some clown decides 2 jump in n crank ur speakers as loud as they can go with out knowing at wat ur volume limits r.

if u still need 2 change some settings on ur head unit 2 make it sound better do so and then adjust ur gains 2 suit again, then adjust ur rears the same way.

i found that realy usefull never thought of that =/ lol
back to another question in a vs commodore isnt it classed as splits if the tweeters are mounted in teh dash standard? =/ wouldnt they only be running high pass seeming there tweeters?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
mattgreen: tweeters are high passed with a filter cap, with the woofer running full range.

also to add to wrx and what he said, remember that if you have set the gain and then add EQ boost to anything you can still distort the signal.

heffer: just leave the speakers at 50Wrms. there will be almost no increase in volume. if you are confident that you can hear when your speakers are distorting from being over excursed or you are just feeding them too much power then run them at 130 but otherwise leave them at 50.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I think im going crazy or that my sub is really not powerful enough for my speakers :S

It just doesn't feel the same, and pack as much punch as it did before...

I have a 12inch Fusion encounter bass pack, it has some 2 chan amp bridged at 180wrms and a 12inch encounter sub, id presume the low end stuff.

:(

Product Specifications

Loaded Enclosure
Power Rating: 400 Watts (Max)
Woofer Size: 1 x 12"
Voice Coil: 2" Kapton Four Layer Voice Coil
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Box Dimensions: (H) 375mm x (W) 423.4mm x (L) 524 mm

Amplfier Specifications
Maximum Power: 300 Watts
RMS Power Output: 92 Watts RMS per Channel @ 2 Ohms
180 Watts RMS Bridged Channels @ 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 10Hz - 40kHz
Low-Pass Crossover: 40Hz - 160 Hz
High-Pass Crossover: 40Hz - 600Hz

- Encounter 12” Loaded Enclosure (400 Watts Max)
- Encounter 2 Channel Amplifier (EN-AM3002 – 300 Watts Max)

FUSION Electronics - Car Audio, Marine Audio and Electronic Display Solutions

Thats what i have, is it low end or am i just being to picky?
Or maybe i have not set it up properly :S

Last edited:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Not sure if u have these capabilities 2 do so with ur head unit but did u turn the subs volume up on the head unit? i had 2 do that with my pioneer deck (3 pre outs tho) and amps 2 get the sound out that i wanted.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not sure if u have these capabilities 2 do so with ur head unit but did u turn the subs volume up on the head unit? i had 2 do that with my pioneer deck (3 pre outs tho) and amps 2 get the sound out that i wanted.

Yer i have the option to do so as well, I have tried alot of settings to get the sound i want, but it just doesn't kick the way i want it to.

I think it may be distorting??

Also on my VT Is there a way to stop the parcel shelf rattling :S

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Find out where it's rattling and put some foam or something in between the two parts that are rattling. I have a toy monkey jammed between the shelf and the rear window near the back window brake light, he works perfectly :dance:

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
Find out where it's rattling and put some foam or something in between the two parts that are rattling. I have a toy monkey jammed between the shelf and the rear window near the back window brake light, he works perfectly :dance:

LOL to sound proof my doors and **** i went hell cheap and packed em with rags.. stoped the rattleing tho! lol:thumbsup:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yer i have the option to do so as well, I have tried alot of settings to get the sound i want, but it just doesn't kick the way i want it to.

I think it may be distorting??

hang on.
was there more bass or did you expect there too be more when you bought the gear?