Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where does the flapping noise come from?

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Acarmody, I checked out the source of the rather loud flapping and yes it is the air vent things. I'm thinking of doing the same, just cover it with sound deadener but maybe perce it with some holes so it's not blocked completely.

Yeah i'm running just 1000rms into them @ 2ohms but yes it's strange. I think but I might be wrong is that with a port you get more volume, where as a sealed you get more thump!

What amp are you running mate?

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Ok I did the soundproofing on those poxey flaps, sounds better but looks like I need to do the outside as I can still hear them!!! I did SD the whole boot floor aswell and that clearly made a difference. I guess the next project will be the roof, hopefully at the weekend.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm running two Cadence ZRS-6000D amp 700wrms each to bring it to 1400wrms at 4 ohm. I will hopefully get around to building some ported box(s) one day.

Have ya had the same guy look at the windscreen seal? I might think about getting someone like O'brien to look at it or someone. I've only sound-deadened the boot and the door and I've never had a problem with the windscreens or roof. The parcel shelf carpet though what a pain in the rear, kept flapping and hitting the windscreen hard, really loud. So as lazy as I was I jammed some spare link-pin bushes between the rear windscreen and the carpet, much much better.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
I have used O'brien's 3 times already. He has checked the condition of the rubber but it is perfect condition. I think ported is the way to go but that's what I recommend with these subs. Are you using the 2008 version of the L7 or earlier model?

I can't at the moment hear the parcel shelf as all I can hear is the bloody front windscreen vibrating. I only usually go upto volume 20 on the stereo, 27 max (I think 62 on the Pioneer) but I can't see anything out of my mirrors just a very blurred image.

How did you get your amps mounted, on firewall or on sub boxes? I got my two on firewall and they overhang over the centre seat rest.

Have you got the carpet piece the covers the boot lid? I bought one for mine from a Calais, Made alot of difference and stopped a few more vibrations from the rear-end.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...The parcel shelf carpet though what a pain in the rear, kept flapping and hitting the windscreen hard, really loud. So as lazy as I was I jammed some spare link-pin bushes between the rear windscreen and the carpet, much much better.
My anti-parcel shelf vibration monkey... His hands are jammed in the gap and has stopped the rattling. Errr... window isn't that dirty anymore :)
2933912480079440396S600x600Q85.jpg

Ray De Man... Does your vision blur at all with that setup? On certain songs I can't read number plates of cars in front of me due to me vibrating... I haven't had any issues with window seals and my subs are in sealed boxes designed for sound quality :dance:

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Nice monkey!!!

Well like I said.... The mirrors blur, can't see S**t out of them, the windscreen yes vibrates but for the possible blurred image I get is probably from my eye balls!

Whats wrong with my setup, im using quality amps, quality speakers, quality subs so whats wrong it???

I have been around car systems since I was 15, so I know the difference between a crap sounding system and a good one. I didn't build my box it came already built for SPL not SQ. Like I said I do have the arm rest in the back down sometimes, that makes more air pressure the cabin. This is when the windscreen pops, not when it is in the closed position!

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Oh... does anyone know what my port is tuned to? I know the port is about 8" or so but on the Kicker site there is no info on this.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Mirrors don't count, all mirrors blur with a decent setup :) It's when your eyes blur just looking at things that you know it's loud :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with your system, there's definitely something wrong with your windscreen though, that's not normal for it to pop out, let alone 3 times.

You need to know the internal volume of the box (W x L x H = V), the port length, port shape (circular/rectangular), port diameter or dimensions if rectangular, and the model of the subs, then someone can put the details into a box program like WinISD or Bassbox Pro and tell you... Or you could even try it yourself as WinISD is free to download.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Nice monkey StoneX, thats gold. :D

All 4 of my amps are mounted on fake walls, one on either side near the taillights, and one on each side behind the rear seats.And no I don't have the carpet piece,I didn't know any model had one, damn, now I want one, cover the damn sound deadener.

LOL I've never had my vision blur before. All mirrors are vibrators in case any women leans against my mirrors. Best one is when you got fast and loud bass, and all the headlights in your rearview mirror turn into rings, looks so cool.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'm a victim of vision blur thanks to digital designs. :)