Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where does your V8 temp gauge sit

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Mines never missed a beat, Shepperton + 38 degree day + sitting still for over an hour followed by burnouts = half way:p
Make sure the radiator is in good condition, flushed, topped with coolant, etc and that the clutch on the fan aint stuffed.

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
actually, my radiator has a small leak on the spout that comes off it for the cap, it's where it joins to the radiator, how should i fix that, what type of weld does it need.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
Mines never missed a beat, Shepperton + 38 degree day + sitting still for over an hour followed by burnouts = half way:p
Make sure the radiator is in good condition, flushed, topped with coolant, etc and that the clutch on the fan aint stuffed.

yeh ive flushed the whole system bout 6 months ago and ive never had to top up the coolant as there is no leaks or anything but yeh the cluych fan is siezing a bit that why i wanna chuck thermo fans in.

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mine sits just under the first full mark and goes slightly above that after a few runs at the drags but not much above. But I have a 180degree thermostat and no aircon so the radiator sees heaps of air. The whole thing stays a bit too cool really so I think I'll get a hotter thermostat

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Mine sits just under the first full mark and goes slightly above that after a few runs at the drags but not much above. But I have a 180degree thermostat and no aircon so the radiator sees heaps of air. The whole thing stays a bit too cool really so I think I'll get a hotter thermostat

I've got an oil pressure gauge in the VN, and the oil pressure on mine doesn't hit what I'd consider "normal" levels until just below the second bar. ie. just below 10psi at idle and around 40psi at 2000rpm. From what I remember the VP gauge has the same scale as the VN, except with half bars marked. At just above the first full bar, my oil pressure is still in what I think of as "not quite warm enough to flog" territory. And this is a 300K old bottom end. So all these people sitting at around 1 bar on the temp gauge, do you have an oil pressure gauge? if so, what kind of pressures do you get in that temperature range? I think greenfoams on the right track thinking it might be a bit on the cool side.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr

where do i get this 180 degree thermostat and how much as i want to see the differance when i change it

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I dont have a oil pressure gauge. I should :) but ah if it dies I'll build a 355 :) sometimes there are things you just don't want to know, less gauges = less stress :). I run 40 weight oil in mine just incase I want to give take it to the limiter as soon as I start it :) but I would like to run it a bit warmer than it is right now

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
where do i get this 180 degree thermostat and how much as i want to see the differance when i change it

All auto parts shop sells them but you need to edit the tune a little bit if you still want all your fuel ecconomy with one, but it's better to fix the problem you have rather than a bandaid. I only have the cooler thermostat so the inlet is a little cooler, I'm definitely sacrificing engine wear for a few kw though but it's my car and I'm allowed to make that choice and I change the oil every 3000 ks or so:)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I dont have a oil pressure gauge. I should :) but ah if it dies I'll build a 355 :) sometimes there are things you just don't want to know, less gauges = less stress :). I run 40 weight oil in mine just incase I want to give take it to the limiter as soon as I start it :) but I would like to run it a bit warmer than it is right now

Yeah I thought about the less gauges = less stress thing for a while, but the OP gauge helped me pinpoint a BIG problem after the rebuild, so it's earned it's keep and it stays. Kinda interesting to watch what happens to the OP when she gets a bit warm as well, by halfway on the temp gauge it drops fairly alarmingly, I think it's going to be due for a full rebuild by the end of the year.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
mine old one used to sit on a quarter on normal days and halfway between half and a quarter on hot days