Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where doyouinstall your crossovers for your front splits?

VHFAN83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Hi All,
I'm going to be installing a whole systems worth of gear sometime soon and was wondering where people have installed crossovers for their front splits? I usually hear of kick panels, but i'm not really a fan of that idea, as the name suggests, you'll be forever "kicking" them. Twice before i have incorporated them into my doors and kept them visible, for aesthetics and in case changes need to be made, so i might put them on the doors again, or i may just hide them completely. The car is a vh commodore and its a complete Rockford Fosgate system.
What's your thoughts?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
The preferred industry answer is in the kick panels or similar. As long as they are inside the car, not the doors. This is due to rust, moisture etc.

But, I'm a lazy knut, and normally mount them to the back of the door trim and install some quick release connectors for making removal of the panel easier in the future.
Nothing shits me more than removing a door trim and the crossover is floating inside the door or has 1.5m of cable so the door trim can be placed on the ground, and then the cables cut to fully remove trim. Lazy bloody JB Hi Fi installers.

Mounting the crossover inside the door, usually means two runs of cable inside the door, unless the tweeter is mounted in or on the dashboard or A pillar.
If you can cable tie them up under the dah, out of the way of any feet, that's the best solution.

EDIT: I normally never mount them where they can be seen - makes it all the more obvious that there is stuff that can be stolen in your vehicle. (and makes it easier for the would be thief)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I had my type x cross overs mounted in the boot beside the amps, but that was to show them off as they were great looking cross overs.

For my next set up I will be mounting them in the doors and have them visible, for exactly the same reason as above.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...I usually hear of kick panels, but i'm not really a fan of that idea, as the name suggests, you'll be forever "kicking" them.
People mean in behind the kick panel, not on the outside where they can be seen or kicked.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Depends where the tweeter is to be mounted also..

When I pit crossovers in doors I usually bag them if they aren't receiving big power.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
On my VY I just jammed them in behind the plastic piece that gets air from the cabin to the door vents. No idea what it is called.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
On my VY I just jammed them in behind the plastic piece that gets air from the cabin to the door vents. No idea what it is called.

I did this in my old VT as well. Heaps of room behind that panel for crossovers.