Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where should the temp gauge for 5l vt sit?

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
Hi All, fantastic forum, really helpful having all this info at your fingertips! I have just bought a 1997 VT 5L manual wagon..and love it..will sort out some pics in the next week or so!

I just have a quick question about the temp my engine is running at. The gauge reads about 5mm below the halfway mark and doesn't seem to move much but the thermo fans are coming on and off heaps even coming on with normal driving as i pull up at lights etc..without being stuck in traffic . I just wondered if this is fairly normal for these engines as I have always had older cars and kombis( where there is a distinct lack of such mod cons!!). The engine was replaced by Holden just before I bought it and has now done about 3000 kms and I would have thought they would have at least flushed the radiator at the time. I am thinking about getting a new radiator just to be on the safe side but thought I would see what sort of gauge reading the rest of you might be running around with.
Cheers and congrats to all involved on such a top forum :thumbsup:

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
my old 5l (Vq but) always sat on about the same as urs thermo's come on which keeps the temp down to where it sits all the time? when u stop at light it will come on because when u are stoped thats when the heat starts? like when u stop an turn off ur car because there isnt no air gettn anywhere as to when ur driven it tends to heat up b4 it fully cools down, just from wot i thought anyone want to make sure im rite or wrong lol.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
its ment to sit just below half way thats running temp. The thermos come on to keep it at that temp.

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
ah thx guys i was just thought it was sitting a bit high compared to a mates V6 VS which sits around a third..and doesn't have the fans coming on so often..different beast but it is reassuring to know that it is sitting at around the right level on the guage...doesn't move at all once it is up there!

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah my old vt v6 and the clubbyr8 both have the temp gauge sitting between 1/2 and 1/2....never moves.

its pretty normal....dont stress

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Depends on the cooling system, mine will sit on lowest and 1/4 on the highway, then wander up to between 1/4 and 1/2 in the city. Never seen it hit half excepting my rally day.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
would it also b best 2 check the temp using ur mode button wouldnt that give u a more accurate reading ?? then u should know where the round abouts the needle should sit.

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
Thx ...i do tend to stress abit when i get a new car!! Used the trip function 2day and it warms up to 89 the gets up to 97 before dropping back ... the fans come on at 95 and turn off again at 90. Just wasn't expecting the fans to be on and off so often..especially as its winter! But still it hasn't gone over 97 2day so might put my $$$ towards an exhaust instead of a radiator! Any recommendations for a cat back in Perth? Not gonna bother with extractors until the warranty on the engine runs out as I heard it can void it! Not used to these cars but it seems to have a twin system from the engine to the diff with a cat and muffler on each pipe, then merges and goes through a final box just before the bumper...absolutely NO exhaust note..sounds quieter than most 6's!! I did thnk bout removing just the last metre or so and extending the twin pipes to the back..but don't want it drone..any ideas..cheers