Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where the hell is the Crank Angle Sensor?

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
G'day

Going to get my CAS replaced, just wondering if its a part that even an idiot could replace? If so I could fix my problem quicker than having to wait to drop off the car to the mechanic and get him to do it. Which due to work, I can only do on a Saturday.

Also problem I think happens coz the CAS is overheating as the problem occurs after driving the car for more than say 30mins. So I've read here pouring water over should cool it down and get the car running again.

I've done a google search and got a rough idea of what the part looks like but not where it would be located in my VS3 UTE.

Can anyone give us some advice? Looking down at the engine whereabouts is it? Anywhere near the ignition module?

Would a Gregory's manual give me diagrams and a good guide on how to replace it myself? What sort of tools do I need? I only got a adjustable wrench, some screwdrivers and a hammer ;P

Cheers.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
its behind the harmonic ballancer
you need a puller to get the ballancer off other than that its a relitively easy job

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
Where is the Harmonic Ballancer?

Can you give us directions from looking down at the engine bay? I'm mainly asking so I know where to tip some water when it plays up, so I can get going (as a temp workaround till it gets replaced). Thanks

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's the round thing that's bolted to the front of the crankshaft (and the belts are attached to)

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series2 executive wagon
It's not too hard a job , but a novice should watch someone else do it for the first time. Or follow the good book closely. You could end up damaging something including your radiator, good luck.