Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where to buy cheap lpg converter

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have an lpg system in my VN i want to put in my VR (i have done this myself before and will do again. please no questions or info on the legalitys of this) my question is that i want to know where i can get hold of a cheap lpg converter? this is the unit that sits in the engine bay, the lpg flows into it from the tank, water flows into it also and the gas is converted from liquid to gas. i need a new one of these before i can put the system into a vr as there is water coming out the GAS hose from the converter that goes to the throttle body. so the converter must be stuffed. cheers.

ive tried a few wreckers and they have none. new is ok if its cheap...

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
what about pick a part?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check on Ebay for spare parts for Commodore or similar as I've seen bits and pieces of LPG systems listed. There must be heaps around as most taxis use LPG. If you live in Melbourne there will be heaps but in Townsville there aren't many.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
You've got nothing to lose, I'd open up the convertor and see if its just a gasket leaking. Mine had a leak after I had a coolant pressure test done. The garage said I needed a new convertor to fix the problem, I said I'll get it done later. they plugged up the coolant lines to the convertor so I could still drive on petrol. I got it home pulled it apart, found a gasket inside that was the cause, made a new one and put it all back together. Still going strong 18 months now.
Don't let garages take you for a ride.

Tim

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah ive tried checking the internals and could not see where it was leaking through from. havnt taken it to a garage in the first place. i just know it has water goint through the pipe that goes to the throttle body. its in a vn thats not going at present and i want to put it in a vr (the whole gas system) but need to do something about the converter. ill have another look at the converters internals on the weekend.

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
You've got nothing to lose, I'd open up the convertor and see if its just a gasket leaking. Mine had a leak after I had a coolant pressure test done. The garage said I needed a new convertor to fix the problem, I said I'll get it done later. they plugged up the coolant lines to the convertor so I could still drive on petrol. I got it home pulled it apart, found a gasket inside that was the cause, made a new one and put it all back together. Still going strong 18 months now.
Don't let garages take you for a ride.

Tim

think ive found the gasket/seal thats at fault (its the only one that could let water into the gas anyway). what did you use to make a new gasket and where did you get it? cheers.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Just used gasket paper I had laying around and a bit of silicone type gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket.

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
a brand new converter is worth $110, the gasket is worth $15

and this brand new converter is from? ive seen second hand for more than that and new round $200 - $300. i'm happy to just fix mine anyway if its just the seal/gasket.