Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to even begin?

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my 2012 VE Series 2 SV6, but I'm not sure of the best way to go, or where to begin. I don't want a bass beast. I don't want to spend a fortune. I just want something with a bit of bass and clarity. I'm not interested in letting everyone listen to my tunes, I'm just annoyed at the speakers distorting when it's barely turned up.

Basically what's the best way to go?

Will an amp, sub and factory speakers be provide a good sound? Or should I consider replacing the fronts with 2 ways, and the rears with some coaxials, but with no sub or amp?

I think doing all speakers, an amp and a sub is wayyy overkill for what I want, not too mention a bit out of my price range...

Apologies if this makes no sense, I have no experience with car audio. :)

Thanks guys! :D

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I think basic sub and amp package combined with a small 4 channel (to give you active crossovers and quality for the clarity) using the factory speakers will keep you happy. If buying amps of the same.brand and model range than I would be happy to use the internal hilo converters.

So there you go, that's one suggestion!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I think basic sub and amp package combined with a small 4 channel (to give you active crossovers and quality for the clarity) using the factory speakers will keep you happy. If buying amps of the same.brand and model range than I would be happy to use the internal hilo converters.

So there you go, that's one suggestion!

Just to clarify, when I say small and basic... I dont cheap unknown brand. 200-300 watts for a sub and a 4x35-50 watts for the door speakers. Yes it will have the ability to overpower the door speakers but if using the crossover correctly.... it will be far too loud before that happens.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Thanks for the great info! :)

Would I be able to power the sub AND factory speakers from the one 4 channel amp?

Would I get any benefit from a sub with built in amp?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Don't amp the factory speakers mate, will be a waste of time. If I were you I would get a set of 2 ways that are either Morel, Hertz or Focal between $200-$300, a 4 channel amp and a sub. Not sure on what type of subs though because I've only had experience with 2 Morel Ultimo 12's (~$850 ea.). Wouldn't get rear speakers unless I carry around passengers regularly.

What's your budget??

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Put simply - the factory speakers are good for throwing into a rubbish bin. There's 5 of them in every VE, you can have a competition with your mates to see who has the best aim. There's not much more that needs to be said about them.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Well the biggest mistake on a budget is to replace the speakers and not amp them.especially when the factory system is not loud enough.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Astranomical, that isn't exactly correct. Mine are being used. As different fridge magnets on the beer fridge. Certainly no good as speakers though. ;) I personally would not amp the stock speakers.

Oh and I've installed aftermarket speakers into a mates Honda without amping them. Made it sound heaps better. Ok, the cabin is probably 1/3 the VE's size and it might have a better headunit. But was definitely worth it and loud enough considering the OP isn't trying to overpower the guy next to him, just after a better sound. Obviously an amp will be even better, but I don't see the point of making crap sound louder. Actually it was probably just as loud, if not louder as they didn't distort and could be set to a higher volume.

The other thing I'd do is replace the speaker wiring. Nothing at all to back that up, I just think they'd be using fairly cheap wire. And if your speakers come with better wire, why not use it?