Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to mount the amp?

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
so can anyone explain why its bad to mount them upside down?
Id assume they act just like a PC does - no moving parts except maybe a cooling fan?
Either way, the tray under the shelf sounds like a good idea (and would probably be how id do it now)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
so can anyone explain why its bad to mount them upside down?
Id assume they act just like a PC does - no moving parts except maybe a cooling fan?
Either way, the tray under the shelf sounds like a good idea (and would probably be how id do it now)

Something to do with heat rising and the heat sinks in the amp being on top. If you turn it upside down, the heat still rises but goes through the amps components (potentially damaging them) instead of the heat sinks.

If you do a search in the Car Audio section, there's heaps of info about it...

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I mounted the amp in my vt upside down in the boot but it was only in there for a short time cause not long after i sold the car.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
It's also extremelly important they're mounted on a flat surface. Any twisting of the amp and *pop*...no more noise...

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Mine is mounted on the left side wall. There is a flat section just big enough for it. Having said that, I'm looking at moving it to under the parcel shelf.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I originally mounted mine under the passenger seat although the cooling fan was too noisy when the volume was down.

I moved it to the left side wall in the boot. Take the carpet lining out and you will find a suitable spot where the hinge and damper does not get in the way.

It is also worth talking to Phreddy to get the low level outputs. I had a nasty buzz (I have an 800w Avalanche) although it sounds crystal clear since the Phreddy conversion.:yeah: