Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to place speakers in VK

Pez

Reppin
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VK
Hey

I'm having trouble finding a spot to place front speakers in my vk seeing as i don't want to ruin my new door trims.

i heard that you could put 4" ones in the dash but i cant figure out how. I was thinking of going with 4", 5" or 6" splits. just don't want to put them in the doors.

Also is it worth keeping and getting aftermarket center dash speaker or should i just disconnect it from the system.

Thanks

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Alrighty the doors are the usual spot to install aftermarket speakers into a VK. I beleive the VLs had 4" speakers mounted in the dash???

Anyways another option for you would be to fit them into the kick panels, theres not much depth in there so i would imagine a spacer is needed. Its a hard job to do, might even have to move the accel. pedal across a little bit for the drivers side.

If you dont want to go to that much trouble a decent pair of 6" or even 6x9s in the rear shelf is always an option....not the ideal choice but still ;)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
The 4" in the dash would be the centre one Im assuming, you could always upgrade it to a better one.

I made a custom parcel shelf to run 6X9's, thanks to some knob jockey who asked for a FREE copy of the plan on paper, which I done all out of kindness, you can now purchase copies of the plans off Ebay, last time I checked he was charging 25bux a plan, but it is a good parcel shelf :p

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Alrighty the doors are the usual spot to install aftermarket speakers into a VK. I beleive the VLs had 4" speakers mounted in the dash???

Anyways another option for you would be to fit them into the kick panels, theres not much depth in there so i would imagine a spacer is needed. Its a hard job to do, might even have to move the accel. pedal across a little bit for the drivers side.

If you dont want to go to that much trouble a decent pair of 6" or even 6x9s in the rear shelf is always an option....not the ideal choice but still ;)

Wont work in the kick panels, the computer is behind the passenger side one, so you would need a large space, and it wouldnt sound that great being thin crappy plastic. The drivers side would be very close to the accel pedal as you said, plus would vibrate your leg and get very irritating.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Vk calais dashes had 4" speakers on either side, similar location to the later vn/vp. All they did was cut a hole in the regular dash and drop in the speaker with the grille already attached. You'd prob be hard pressed to find the grilles for em nowadays tho. Of course it might just be easier to buy another set of front door trims and some vr speaker pods from a wrecker.. trim them up to suit.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah true Tom i didnt think of the ECU. I suppose you could re-locate it under the seat or something.
If you were to go down the kick panel road i would be building new kick panels out of 6-8mm MDF then using either a custom made pair of speaker pods or a pair of the aerpro ones. Either way the kicks are an option that goes into the "hard" basket.

Bezz's option of going with stock trims and VR/S pods is a good idea too. Either those or a set of pre-fab pods.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
The 4" in the dash would be the centre one Im assuming, you could always upgrade it to a better one.

I made a custom parcel shelf to run 6X9's, thanks to some knob jockey who asked for a FREE copy of the plan on paper, which I done all out of kindness, you can now purchase copies of the plans off Ebay, last time I checked he was charging 25bux a plan, but it is a good parcel shelf :p

or free from u tom?

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
The Calais had small speakers and grills moulded together and were a real pain to get out and even worse to get back in when youve realised you cant change them for anything decent. The lower models had 4" speakers under removable grills but you had to remove the air vents to get at the screws, not difficult but a bit frustrating if you havn't seen it done.
I think in your case you should try and replace the 4" dash speakers and compliment them with some nice 6" rears and a small sub if you really want some bass, or go for some 6X9's in the back .... whatever suits you.
The only other drama with the front speakers is that there isn't much room between the speaker cone and the grill so you need to choose a speaker with a flush mounting tweeter, also from memory the magnet depth is an issue too. "Normal" sized magnets will fit but anything much deeper is a problem. I seem to remember that the entry level splits from Pioneer were a perfect fit.
It's nice to see someone is going to the trouble in a VL, lots of good memories in early Commodores for me. The VL is truely a classic in Holden circles.

Ooops, I just realised your talking about a VK, ....... hmmmm.
Any chance you can sell it and get a VL ?

Last edited:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
or free from u tom?

Nah, not pulling the bastard out again to make up a plan lol. Plus it costs me nearly 10bux to produce and post one. NEVER AGAIN lol.