Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where to put 6.5" speakers in a vs?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I just went through the whole removing the door trim process, only to discover that the front speakers are 6 inch, not 6.5 :(

i had the 6.5s in the parcel shelf of the vh. now, before i go and pull the parcel shelf out of the vs, will the 6.5" speakers fit there?

Alternatively, where can i put them?

I also have some little 4 inch speakers. is there any point making up a blank so i can mount them in the doorpods?

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Yeah i have 6.5 as well. i just put them in my door pods of my vs and the splits on in the top of the dash where the little ones used to be. Not the best of fits.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i can't work out how mine will fit. they have a massive magnet and the front frame won't fit in the hole.

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Yup, i have phoenixgold splits so they are fairly large too. i couldn't put all the screws on as it would of fouled against the speakers, so i just put some spaces between the speaker and pod. still looks normal, i think the only way to do it properly is to take out the black plastic bracket the holds the speakers and to make the back of it a little larger to fit the magnent? maybe these are sold for 6.5s?? but then you have to be careful not to put the speaker in the path of the window when its wound down.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i did what all good men would, and gave up.

when i can be motivated again, i'll try the rears. what size are they?

Alan Shore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 ED XR6 Manual
I'm not sure what the rears are...but I recenty put in 6.5" kickers in the rear. They don't fit normally so I spent like $4 to get some MDF spacers and they worked real nice. It sorta hits the parcel shelf a little...or the parcel shelf rests on it whatever...but it doesn't seem to affect any sound quality...

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
so the fronts slot in 6inches nicely? just not 6.5's?

dale-jcf

Reaction score
I've fitted 6 1/2" speakers to my door pod. If only I can remember how I did it!

I trimmed the lip off of the plastic pods and then made up an MDF spacer to sit between the plastic pod and the speaker itself. The spacer was needed to clear the magnet from the back of the pod.

I think I used silastic to hold the MDF to the pod, but the screws hold it together anyway. I guess hot-melt glue would work too.

There's not much space, but its possible, and sounds good.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Sell your 6.5" and buy some new 6"

Thats what i would do anyway.

Pods and parcel shelf are both 6"

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
I dunno, my 6.5" speakers fitted in ok, I had to cut the back off that plastic pod so it would fit in and drill an extra screw-hole or two in the front of it, but that was it.

I cut it off with a mortar drill and a steak-knife, but a hacksaw would do the job a lot better.

I've got some 6x9's to go in the back on saturday, that should keep me busy :)