Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to run amp power wire

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Hey y'all,

Getting my new deck in a couple of weeks, and just setting up the ground work, i'm a fair novice and this will be my first sound system install.

I want to run the amp power cable down the drivers side of the car, is there an easy way of getting from the engine bay into the cabin and down under the carpet/side plastic? Any hints/tips?

Removal of the glove box? (for rest of the cables)

Is removing the back seat going to be the same as removing a VR one? Push forward n pull up.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
do a search and you will find all the info your after. thats what i did. i ran my amp wire down the drivers side no probs and the back seat is simple enough to do. good luck on your mission.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you've got an auto, have a look on the firewall, engine side down below the brake booster and in toward the rear of the engine. You should find a rectangle shaped rubber plug. If you lift the carpet in the footwell you should also be able to see it. Just push it out - toward the engine and then drill a hole in it, the size of the cable(s), feed cables through and seal around them with a good silastic type sealer. Replace the rubber plug making sure that it is correctly seated (to keep water and fumes from entering), replace carpet and route the wires along under the door sills - after having removed them. The rest should be easy.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i used the rubber grommett shared with the cars wiring harness, just behind the drivers side strut tower, ive got 3 lots of wiring running through there and will be 4 soon....

after that just lift up the sill covers remove the screws (they use a torx bit head), you will also need to remove the black piece of trim under the seat belt and the cover plate between the seat and sill panel.

the glove box is removed by lowering it to its normal position, on the sides there are rubber sqaures that acts as mounts, remove these then lower the box more and pull it directly outwards to release the pivot mounts

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh i went through the firewall where the main harness is (passenger side), i ran mine through the same crommet, u will see it come through underneath near the kick panel, remove the under dash trim(under glove box) and u will be able to see with a light. i used 4 gauge wirring and ran it inside 13mm conguete, protects the wirring from the heat of the engine bay and from picking up interference in the main hareness, bit of a pain running it sometimes but it is better and looks alot neater in the long run, i'll try and get some pics up.

goodluck with which ever way u decide, also if u don't want to go through the grommet on the passenger side with the main harness theres an opening in the firewall just below it that u can go through, might be a bit easier if u don't want the ****ing around

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Just another point dude.. you should run your power wiring down a different side to your speaker wiring. I did an amp and speaker install about a 2 months ago for my vy... took me ages to do it (hours and hours).. if you need any help with it pm me, i should be able to help you with any questions you have.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh i ran my speaker wirring and ampwirring(rca's) and remote wire down the right hand side of the vehicle and my power cable for the amp down the left hand side.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
i did it the other way around... power and amp trigger wire down the right side, speaker wire and rcas down the left side.. doesn''t matter which way as long as they're kept seperate...