Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to spend a few bucks enhancing my wm v8

TrickyRicky08

Reaction score
Members Ride
wm caprice 6.0
I’ve recently bought a 6.0 v8 it’s lowered and pretty tidy. I’m just looking to have it sounding tough without been too loud and improve it’s efficiency. This is what I’m proposing to do:-
A cold air intake with maf.
Pacemaker or hurricane y extractors.
Fast flo catalytic converters 200.
Rear mufflers replaced with resonators.
A tune
I’d really appreciate your comments cheers

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I’ve recently bought a 6.0 v8 it’s lowered and pretty tidy. I’m just looking to have it sounding tough without been too loud and improve it’s efficiency. This is what I’m proposing to do:-
A cold air intake with maf.
Pacemaker or hurricane y extractors.
Fast flo catalytic converters 200.
Rear mufflers replaced with resonators.
A tune
I’d really appreciate your comments cheers
A 2.5" twin system isn't to loud and will suit up to 500hp apparently and is a comfortable noise level. Y headers will keep your low tourq but lack flow mid to high end. The otr is good if you drive on cold days. Regular cleaning is required for everyday application.During the summer l can't see that a snorkel mounted over a radiator that's at 100 cel+ is more effective than a air box with a hi Flo filter. A maf tune might give you a 20 kw increase ive been advised depending on boltons. In my opinion try to fit all 1 brand exhaust weather its pacemaker or b brand.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
A 2.5" twin system isn't to loud and will suit up to 500hp apparently and is a comfortable noise level. Y headers will keep your low tourq but lack flow mid to high end. The otr is good if you drive on cold days. Regular cleaning is required for everyday application.During the summer l can't see that a snorkel mounted over a radiator that's at 100 cel+ is more effective than a air box with a hi Flo filter. A maf tune might give you a 20 kw increase ive been advised depending on boltons. In my opinion try to fit all 1 brand exhaust weather its pacemaker or b brand.
I’d agree with that but there’s a reason Otr intakes are so commonly used in power upgrades, not because they make it worse

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
oh you wanted it quiet... was going to suggest 3" twin Difillipo system

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I’d agree with that but there’s a reason Otr intakes are so commonly used in power upgrades, not because they make it worse
I didn't suggest it would be worse. The cooler air becomes heated and effectively defetes its purpose on a hot day. I've had the option to fit or Not. It's just a cheap bolt on that gives a bit of a buzz and the trend follows. People are now unsatisfied with them thats a fact. The $500 you spend on the otr that requires $1000 custom tune will need a retune when you spend 7k or so doing a cam and then a retune when you are faced having to just rebuild the engine as the engine needs bearings, rings, new pistons etc. Bang for buck id rather a rebuild.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
OTRs used to be pretty effective back in the VT to VY days with their some what restrictive piping and MAF. Most of the gains to be had were probably just in removing the MAF along with the tune. I'm no tuner though but have always been dubious about the benefit of an OTR sitting on a hot radiator.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
@immortality did tests some time ago comparing air temps between otr and a mace air box in the factory position.

Surpirse, surprise, OTR air was hotter than air box in factory position.

I have never understood why an OTR with hotter air is a benefit.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
@immortality did tests some time ago comparing air temps between otr and a mace air box in the factory position.

Surpirse, surprise, OTR air was hotter than air box in factory position.

I have never understood why an OTR with hotter air is a benefit.

Louder noise = performance

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
AFR's with the OTR etc, greater mass than standard position etc (i'm no tuner either :rolleyes:)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
my engine was first tuned with a pod style behind the front light, intake temps were super high so i fitted a OTR, AFR leaned out in PE meaning it flows much better but was still safe until a retune corrected it back to safer to suit new airflow, intake temps were 15-20c less during a run with the OTR compared to the pod style, all depends how u mount the OTR heat soak dosnt have to be as bad as some