Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to start for cheap kilowatts - 175kw Alloytec

N

noddy9

Looking for cheap kilowatts for my stock 175kw Alloytec SVZ Wagon. Going to the big smoke in a few weeks and am looking at extractors, exhaust and K&N filter. $1000??? Have read that extractors don't give you a great deal of extra power but definitely help engine breathe better. Any thoughts or suggestions??

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Extractors are worth it for future mods such as forced induction, if you want to keep it as it is I wouldn't bother spending $$$, but yes it does breathe better, should get better fuel economy and sound. Also I thought the VZ 3.6ltr were 172kw?

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
depends which one you got, the originals were 175kw, and i believe sometime in 2005 they changed them to meet stricter emissions and they have 4 cats on them now instead of 2 and the power was 172/173kw ....

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Sammy said:
depends which one you got, the originals were 175kw, and i believe sometime in 2005 they changed them to meet stricter emissions and they have 4 cats on them now instead of 2 and the power was 172/173kw ....

4 cats, thats crazy. Thanks for the info.

N

noddy9

Sammy said:
Your absolutely right Sammy.

"The four-speed auto-only SVZ is powered by Holden’s 3.6-litre Alloytec V6, which for 2006 offers 3kW less peak power at 172kW. It’s delivered at the same 6000rpm, while peak torque remains 320Nm at 2800rpm following this year’s tighter new Euro III emissions regulations that came into effect just 16 months after Holden released its new Global V6 in the VZ Commodore."

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
4 cats huh?
tell the mechianc who replaces your exhaust not to get scratched:yeah:
thats a lot of pussy:D

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
noddy9 said:
Looking for cheap kilowatts for my stock 175kw Alloytec SVZ Wagon. Going to the big smoke in a few weeks and am looking at extractors, exhaust and K&N filter. $1000??? Have read that extractors don't give you a great deal of extra power but definitely help engine breathe better. Any thoughts or suggestions??

i've got the same 175KWer, i'm thinkin of gettin one of those SSinductions doobeys and then wait an see if a chip comes out...

From what i hear i wouldn't bother too much with extractors unless you've got other mods planned. And put some thought into the exhaust, i've heard you can loose a couple of KWs by replacing the exhaust. But you know, might be worth it to make the thing sound different to a 4 cyc.

175kW is pretty close to the v8s of the 80's isn't it? may not be worth doing too much with it unless your goin down the turbo/supercharger road.

SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Commodore
I have the same 175kw motor i inquired about extractors the guy at carline exhaust said to me that the motor has problems out high revs with valve rods or something said that u have to get it tuned straight after
but not to sure have to ask around

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
squire_j said:
i've got the same 175KWer, i'm thinkin of gettin one of those SSinductions doobeys and then wait an see if a chip comes out...

From what i hear i wouldn't bother too much with extractors unless you've got other mods planned. And put some thought into the exhaust, i've heard you can loose a couple of KWs by replacing the exhaust. But you know, might be worth it to make the thing sound different to a 4 cyc.

175kW is pretty close to the v8s of the 80's isn't it? may not be worth doing too much with it unless your goin down the turbo/supercharger road.

WRONG.

And there will not be any "chips" coming out.

You need to stop thinking these cars are run by computers similar to the old V6 commodore. They dont have a replacable chip.

You have to flash tune them same as the V8s. The program is being developed by VCM as we speek.