Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where too start

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
g'day guys right so my engine has just been rebuilt along with the trans and i wont to know how i can get more power without costing me heaps of money plus i want something thats not easily noticeable

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I'd say a performance chip, just not one off ebay!
Also some higher ratio rollers but I havent tryed that out.
Best place to start is get a turbo'd or supercharged car imo.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
yeah but by the time i get my p's they will be against the law for me to drive them

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
should have been asking these questions before you had the engine re-built as it would have been cheap and easy to chuck a few choice pieces of gear in while the engine was apart. but anyway...

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
theres been nothing done to it when it got rebuilt, im wondering how much would a supercharger for a v6 would be.?

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
you really shoulda thought of this before the rebuild, it would have been easy to do a cam, up the compresion a little etc. as said above. now your best bet is the bolt on stuff. headers, 2.5" exhaust, cai, filter, high ratio roller rockers, bigger TB etc

Boganhunter

Seek and Destroy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
If you want power from a V6, the best way is forced induction. Yeah, it's expensive but you will get a noticable power increase. The most you can expect to gain from extractors, hi-flow cat, 2.5 inch exhaust and all the other bolt on crap is about 20 - 25 hp and I'm being generous there.

Heres an estimate for you.

Extractors, cat and exhaust - $600 - $900
Cold air and K&N filter - $150 - $200
5 litre throttle body - $100
Chip - $100

I could go on but all this stuff is essentially a waste of time if you want real power. You can get a cheap cheap supercharger kit for about $3000 and a good one for about $7000.

Immortality is right, do block work. See if you can get your hands on another V6 and take it to someone to work it up a bit. Will probably cost you $1500 for a V6 that has 240hp as oppesed to the standard 180hp.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
well i have an ecotec 6 here that i could use but is it hard to change the engines over?