Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where's my engine number on my ve?

Isaac_bowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Trying to work out if my engine vin matches my car vin but cant find the number for my motor for ve 1 sv6

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
plate should be on passenger side flat panel next to strut tower

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Trying to work out if my engine vin matches my car vin but cant find the number for my motor for ve 1 sv6
Welcome to the forum Issac.

The engine has a stamped number on it. It can be found on the drivers side, front of the engine, to the front of the cylinder head. It's a bit of a pain to see on VE's as the heater hoses and a wiring loom run over the top of it. Note that this is an engine number and identifies the engine, it is not a VIN (vehicle identity number) which identifies the complete vehicle.

The VIN is stamped under the front drivers seat under a little carpet flap. It’s also stamped on the bottom left side of the support for the windscreen and viewable through the glass. And again it’s also stamped on the build plate which is attached to or near the front left hand strut tower.

As such, the engine or gearbox serial number is very different to the VIN :cool:

Why are you looking at these numbers? Providing context to your question can be helpful :cool:

If you want to check that the engine is the original one that was installed during vehicle manufacture, then that’s a question only Holden (Customer Care) can answer (unless you have the very first registration paper which lists the VIN and engine #)…

If you are buying a vehicle and want to check that the vehicle you want to buy matches the paperwork the seller provides, then checking actual VIN, engine number and rego against the registration and sales paperwork is sufficient (but don’t forget to also check PPSR for leans, etc. if buying privately) ;)

Isaac_bowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Welcome to the forum Issac.

The engine has a stamped number on it. It can be found on the drivers side, front of the engine, to the front of the cylinder head. It's a bit of a pain to see on VE's as the heater hoses and a wiring loom run over the top of it. Note that this is an engine number and identifies the engine, it is not a VIN (vehicle identity number) which identifies the complete vehicle.

The VIN is stamped under the front drivers seat under a little carpet flap. It’s also stamped on the bottom left side of the support for the windscreen and viewable through the glass. And again it’s also stamped on the build plate which is attached to or near the front left hand strut tower.

As such, the engine or gearbox serial number is very different to the VIN :cool:

Why are you looking at these numbers? Providing context to your question can be helpful :cool:

If you want to check that the engine is the original one that was installed during vehicle manufacture, then that’s a question only Holden (Customer Care) can answer (unless you have the very first registration paper which lists the VIN and engine #)…

If you are buying a vehicle and want to check that the vehicle you want to buy matches the paperwork the seller provides, then checking actual VIN, engine number and rego against the registration and sales paperwork is sufficient (but don’t forget to also check PPSR for leans, etc. if buying privately) ;)

Hey mate, is this it? Yeah trying to work out if it’s the original

Attachments

• 34972985-175B-49F8-9A29-A106036D5969.jpeg
    34972985-175B-49F8-9A29-A106036D5969.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 207

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
it will be stamped into the block somewhere

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hey mate, is this it? Yeah trying to work out if it’s the original
The engine number is always stamped or laser etched on the cylinder block, somewhere…

In a V arrangement, one head is more forward than the other head. IIRC, in GM LS motors, the left side head (aussie passenger side) is more forward than the right side head (aussie driver’s side). Thus the right side head (our aussie drivers side) sits back a little.

The fact that the right side head sits back a little exposes a pad at the front of the right side cylinder block. The fact the left side head sits forward a little exposes a pad at the rear of the left side cylinder block. The fact the left side head sits forward also means that the front cylinder on this head is the number #1 cylinder.

(Now just to confuse, some people refer to left side & right side of the engine in reference to standing at the front of the car looking at the engine… which is opposite to what I’ve referenced. And that’s why I qualify it as aussie driver side, aussie passenger side :rolleyes: - conventions can be a PITA unless consistent but consistency in tje automotive world can be elusive :mad: )

On a L76, I’ve read that the engine number is stamped or laser etched on the front of the engine, on that bit of exposed block on the right hand side (our aussie driver’s side)… but there is a thick wiring loom laying over this so it’s a PITA to see the number :confused: I haven’t checked myself so can’t say with 100% certainty o_O

According to the workshop manual, supposedly the engine number is stamped or laser etched on the left side rear of the block. Supposedly that’s for L77, LS3 and LSA that the workshop manual covers. So it’s also a PITA to view so haven't checked on my LS3…

Acording to the VF workshop manual, for the V8 engine
  • The first three digits, identify the engine model.
  • The next two digits, identify the engine model year.
  • The next three digits, identify the Julian date the engine was manufactured.
  • The next four digits, identify the assembly plant sequence number.
I’d expect VE and VF are the same in this context but consistency and convention doesn’t seem absolute in the automotive world, so go figure :p

PS: the engine number may be on a few stickers but don’t rely on these,… look at the stamping even if it’s a PITA. You’ve only got 2 placed to look at… a cheap borescope would be rather helpful for these tasks (and others) :p:cool:

PPS: Oops, just noticed you have SV6. The following is from the VF workshop manual:
The Engine Serial Number is located on the left-hand side at the rear of the engine cylinder block (1) and is stamped or laser etched onto the block at the assembly plant. The engine serial number is viewed from underneath the vehicle. When reading the Engine Serial Number the following information can be obtained:​

Last edited:

Isaac_bowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
The engine number is always stamped or laser etched on the cylinder block, somewhere…

In a V arrangement, one head is more forward than the other head. IIRC, in GM LS motors, the left side head (aussie passenger side) is more forward than the right side head (aussie driver’s side). Thus the right side head (our aussie drivers side) sits back a little.

The fact that the right side head sits back a little exposes a pad at the front of the right side cylinder block. The fact the left side head sits forward a little exposes a pad at the rear of the left side cylinder block. The fact the left side head sits forward also means that the front cylinder on this head is the number #1 cylinder.

(Now just to confuse, some people refer to left side & right side of the engine in reference to standing at the front of the car looking at the engine… which is opposite to what I’ve referenced. And that’s why I qualify it as aussie driver side, aussie passenger side :rolleyes: - conventions can be a PITA unless consistent but consistency in tje automotive world can be elusive :mad: )

On a L76, I’ve read that the engine number is stamped or laser etched on the front of the engine, on that bit of exposed block on the right hand side (our aussie driver’s side)… but there is a thick wiring loom laying over this so it’s a PITA to see the number :confused: I haven’t checked myself so can’t say with 100% certainty o_O

According to the workshop manual, supposedly the engine number is stamped or laser etched on the left side rear of the block. Supposedly that’s for L77, LS3 and LSA that the workshop manual covers. So it’s also a PITA to view so haven't checked on my LS3…

Acording to the VF workshop manual, for the V8 engine
I’d expect VE and VF are the same in this context but consistency and convention doesn’t seem absolute in the automotive world, so go figure :p

PS: the engine number may be on a few stickers but don’t rely on these,… look at the stamping even if it’s a PITA. You’ve only got 2 placed to look at… a cheap borescope would be rather helpful for these tasks (and others) :p:cool:

PPS: Oops, just noticed you have SV6. The following is from the VF workshop manual:
The Engine Serial Number is located on the left-hand side at the rear of the engine cylinder block (1) and is stamped or laser etched onto the block at the assembly plant. The engine serial number is viewed from underneath the vehicle. When reading the Engine Serial Number the following information can be obtained:​
Yeah thanks. Considering the sticker says 2007 and my car is a 2006 I’m assuming it’s safe to say it’s not the original engine