Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheres the BCM located? & the Horn.... :D

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Hi.

Just curious where the BCM is located??

Secondly the BCM i can get is from an 06 VZ exec wagon that has the side airbag option keeping in mind that my VZ is an 05 wagon without the side airbag option... would this cause any conflicts?

Also wheres the horn located? (without testing it with my head stuck in the engine bay) ive also got a 450hz horn so i might as well install it.

any help & even pics would be great!

cheers guys.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Scyth

I can help with Questions 1 and 3.

The BCM is located under the dash, above the accelerator pedal. It is retained by two plastic quick release clips on top and one scrivet. Access is gained by removing the lower dash panel on the driver's side. It's a mongrel to reach up and release and you will probably find it is easier to remove the scrivet by cutting it off with a sharp chisel and replacing it with a new one when putting the BCM back in (or leave it off altogether0.

The horn is mounted behind the bumper facia on the right hand (driver's side). You need to get down to ground level and look up behind the bumper to see it. One 12 or 13mm socket and two wires to unplug. To mount a second horn, you need a left hand mounting bracket as well as the horn. The wiring is already in place on the passenger's side.

Can't help with the question about the air bags though.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the vz's have the horn on both side just behind the corners of the front bar,

bcm, as said above

-scyth-

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
cheers mate!

Hi Scyth

I can help with Questions 1 and 3.

The BCM is located under the dash, above the accelerator pedal. It is retained by two plastic quick release clips on top and one scrivet. Access is gained by removing the lower dash panel on the driver's side. It's a mongrel to reach up and release and you will probably find it is easier to remove the scrivet by cutting it off with a sharp chisel and replacing it with a new one when putting the BCM back in (or leave it off altogether0.

The horn is mounted behind the bumper facia on the right hand (driver's side). You need to get down to ground level and look up behind the bumper to see it. One 12 or 13mm socket and two wires to unplug. To mount a second horn, you need a left hand mounting bracket as well as the horn. The wiring is already in place on the passenger's side.

Can't help with the question about the air bags though.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm, may cause a conflict but that should mainly be controled buy the air bag module i think? not really sure, what exactly are you changing it for if you dont mind me asking?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Also, if you change the BCM for any reason, I think you need to have your keys either re-programmed or replaced to mate with the new BCM.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, if you change the BCM for any reason, I think you need to have your keys either re-programmed or replaced to mate with the new BCM.

yep or get the keys assigned to that bcm, once programmed to that bcm its programmed for life

-scyth-

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
THanks for the feedback guys.

Andy im replacing the BCM cause mines faulty. My car has a stroke everytime i use the key to lock & unlock the vehicle. (all the left indicator lights stay on) so i figure its a BCM prob.

hmm, may cause a conflict but that should mainly be controled buy the air bag module i think? not really sure, what exactly are you changing it for if you dont mind me asking?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
THanks for the feedback guys.

Andy im replacing the BCM cause mines faulty. My car has a stroke everytime i use the key to lock & unlock the vehicle. (all the left indicator lights stay on) so i figure its a BCM prob.

Yep, it is, a very common VZ issue apparently. New BCM plus keys = around $500, or Doctor Bob can fix for about half that.

If you get another used BCM, try to get the keys with it. Be prepared for the new BCM to be faulty too, if it is second hand.