Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which 20w-50 oil is best

which 20w-50 oil have you had the best experience with

• Nulon

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Penrite

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Castrol

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Shell Helix

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Repco/Bursons brand

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
What oil have you guys used and had the best result with, just 20w-50 i have wrote all i can think of any other oils i have not mentioned write below.

WALLSHURT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WINGLESS SPRINTCAR
My race engine builder swears by castrol edge 25w 50w,he builds and refreshes engines all the time and finds the condition of bearings very pleasing,he said if I ever put mobil 1 in any of his engines that I wasn't to ring him anymore!!!!!!

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
Penrite
and then castrol and nulon are about equal imo,
shell is rubbish and so is valvoline

i tryed penrite last time i used the hpr-gas 20w-60 and it was ok but previous time was castrol gtx that i would say it felt better and gave nulon a go this time and im quite happy with it made it idle a lot smoother.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
i tryed penrite last time i used the hpr-gas 20w-60 and it was ok but previous time was castrol gtx that i would say it felt better and gave nulon a go this time and im quite happy with it made it idle a lot smoother.

Oh really? Ill give nulon a go, i used the castrol gtx 20-50 (used to be gtx2) in my vl for ages then switched to penrite, i thought it was a little better. I just changed the oil in the 5L and put penrite in, ill give nulon a go next time

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Any oil with an API rating of SN will be better then older an oil such as SL and SM. But then some SN oils are better then others, it all depends on what additives the individual manufacturers put in the oil, so some blends may be better for some engines then others, depending on there needs. Personally i like Fuchs oil but its not readily available so i use Castrol more commonly.