Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which 4L60E gearbox do I have?

purrVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive
Hi all,

I bought a VR v6 engine off a bloke the other day who had a few parts and wrecked commos lying aroung and he threw in a 4L60E box as well, which he claimed he was fairly sure it was from a VR also, but cuoldn't have been from the same VR as the motor because the box was still in that particular car. Now this box has the 13 pin green plug on it, which I was under the impression was the VS gearbox, but i'm no expert so I was wondering if someone could confirm or deny this so I know whether to sell it to a mate with a vs or not. Thanks!

pendles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
vr is a 4hdd box. don't know if it differs in year models but vs would be different as its not a Buick engine.
hope that narrows it down for you

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
The vs box will bolt up to the buick, just use the right flex plate for your engine as they are balanced differently. Pretty sure the electronics are compatible too, not sure though as I have never put a VS box in the VR before.

purrVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive
nah apparently the plug on the box is different as well as possibly the extension housing but they were both 4L60E box's. Need to know which one this one is out of that's all

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
nah apparently the plug on the box is different as well as possibly the extension housing but they were both 4L60E box's. Need to know which one this one is out of that's all

Haven't you answered your own question then?

Just see if your plug is the same or different compared to your car.

purrVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive
Sorry forgot that part, my car is a VG ute lol, turbo700 box lol

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if the sticker on the bell housing is missing you need to look at the right hand rear side above the pan as the id number is stamped in the casing (may require scraping some of the buildup off to see it but it will be there)
4HDD.jpg
6HDD.jpg

yes an ecotec trans will bolt upto a buick and vise versa, BUT the lower support brackets will differ
i have a 13pin 6hdd VS trans that is a single piece outer case so the buick support bracket will fit but the later transmissions have a detachable bellhousing and will require some pain staking manufacturing of brackets to do the job.

Here is a 98 VT trans bolted to a VR engine, the VR exhaust Y pipe is a tight fit but doesn't fowl.
View attachment 155542 View attachment 155544
the trans cooler lines will require some careful bending also, the earlier single piece housing have the threads coming out on an angle, the newer transmissions have the same part coming out on a 90 deg right angle, also need to change the bits that bolt into the housing to suit your lines as they changed the thread.

You can use a newer 13 pin plug trans on a VR 12 pin wiring loom but you will have to drop the pan and stake the tcc pwm solenoid valve in the valve body, failure to do so will end up with the torque converter not locking fully when it's required to do so.

you could in theory go backwards and put a 12 pin VR trans in a newer vehicle but then you'd have to mess with the pcm and have the error code turned off, failing to do this will just put the pcm into lhm as it will be looking for the solenoid and it doesn't exist, attaching the p/n/r/od/d/2/1 switch to the box would require some creativity also.

Last edited: