Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which 5L would best suit?

Gudgeon Pin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, VK EFI 5.0 Calais
i've got VK and have the EFI 304, they go alright, and you still get good fuel. Plus have the vn ss 85l long range tank. Don;t get me wrong i love carbies but the 304 is a challenge and has benefits. Up to you mate

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Thanks for that Gudgeon Pin! I think I will regret not going the EFI. and if I want to go carby cause I'm after a more hotrod look (if that makes sense lol) as i like the idea of a filter sticking out of the bonnet then I can always convert it and still have the advantage of a stronger motor.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hey gunn! im lookin at puttin the vn 5lt into me VH and running as a carby! to everyone else on this thread
are the v8's in the vn's vp's and vr's all the same motors in regards to specs?....as in 308 or 304? im a lil
confused as to what cubes they are? being the fact that im lookin on ebay for a motor and i type in 308 and it shows
a vn or vr 5tr and then type in 304 and get a vn or vp vr 5tr...what the ####?????

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
nah cos there is no EGR crossover on them. im told VN on didnt need EGR, so without that your emission system isnt complete. a simple fix (i have been told) is to fit a couple of cats and get it certified. but the thing is, vicroads only want to know if you changed the engine number, which you would have, to VT***, i.e. VK black which is legal. you dont need a rwc cert to change it. just call them up with the new engine number.

but the reg process is also debatable, because its all hearsay, i have never done it.

edit* that didnt really make sense.

if your car is already reg'd, then all you have to do is ring vicroads with the new number, which will be a VK 308, which is legal. the fact that your heads dont have EGR doesnt make a difference to the engine number. itll just suck if you get a canary and have to rwc it somehow.

Going EFI gets around that problem. No EGR needed on an EFI 5 litre.

Just go injection, you won't regret it IMO.

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Quick question what engine would better suit the conversion in my VK. A 304 from a VS stato or a VN SS? Which one will have better performance even though they are the same pretty much? And easier to put in?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Having done a few 5 litre conversions with various different model engines, I'd go with the VN engine, purely for the fact that they are much cheaper and easier to wire up. Even more so if you are using the matching auto, the electronic autos are a headache for conversions.

Both will go exactly the same, so no difference there. The only thing in the VS engines favour is that it will be factory stroker relieved, but that's no big deal really.

Both engines will be the same to fit, apart from the wiring as i mentioned.

IMO, apart from the VT roller cam engine, the VN 5 litre is the pick of the bunch.