Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which 6spd manual is tuffest?

metalskin

get sum
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Age
47
Location
perth
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
howdy, was wondering which 6spd box is the tuffest. is the getrag that came in the vs gtsr a good`n and would it cope behind a blown/stroked 5ltr in my vs? is the tremec pretty much the same or is it superior?
its great you guys have so much holden knowlege, cheers.:driving:
 

Attachments

minux

Infidel Bear
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
6,927
Reaction score
232
Points
63
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
Just buy a nice hollinger, will handle more than enough for what you want :)
 

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
metalskin said:
howdy, was wondering which 6spd box is the tuffest. is the getrag that came in the vs gtsr a good`n and would it cope behind a blown/stroked 5ltr in my vs? is the tremec pretty much the same or is it superior?
its great you guys have so much holden knowlege, cheers.:driving:
Ok mate dont know why you have another thread on this but ill answer. First off the GTS, GTS-R and Senator use a Tremec T56 not a Getrag. Gentrag's where used in the VS SII onwards V6 and the VS SII V8 (5.0lt) these are a fairly week box that is expensive to repair.
What to use depends on how much power the combo will make and how much $$$ you want to spend. There is the TKO 500 (500lbs of torque)& TKO 600 (600lbs). Then there is the tried and true T56 (450lbs) which has the benifit of an additional gear. There is also modified versions of the above, for example there is a company in the US that makes a modified T56 that can handle 800lbs of torque!
AirStrike :air:
 

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
kill -9 said:
Just buy a nice hollinger, will handle more than enough for what you want :)
To give you an idea of the cost of a Hollinger, they cost around $4500 to service!!
AirStrike :air:
 

metalskin

get sum
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Age
47
Location
perth
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
yeah, i have a few other threads going. and as youz can already tell im a bit of a slow learner and gotta ask same question over n over. lol. and im still not too clear.
i have searched the web and got conflicting info, which scatters my noggin.
ive bought an ebay box that seller says its a borg warner T56 6spd (item- 190002518772 ). i do hope it will be suficiant, i guess my car be puting out around 350kw`ish, dunno bout torque. will she go crunch-bang-rattle?
 

metalskin

get sum
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Age
47
Location
perth
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
clear as mud now.
borg warner t56 6spd is or isnt gonna be suitable? just hafta see how it goes i spose. ive just had a stainless exhaust system fitted too, will it need to be altered when manual is fitted? she sounds fat crackin nice too!!!
 

AirStrike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
8,157
Reaction score
97
Points
48
Age
35
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
91' VN SS
There is no such thing as a Borg Warner T56 mate. Do you have a link to it? If its a tremec T56, just put a good clutch (like a textrilla) and it will take the power easy.....
AirStrike :air:
 

minux

Infidel Bear
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
6,927
Reaction score
232
Points
63
Location
Melbourne
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
AirStrike said:
To give you an idea of the cost of a Hollinger, they cost around $4500 to service!!
AirStrike :air:
Didnt say anything about servicng just wanted to kno the best box :p
 

1991_Vn2nV

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
8,718
Reaction score
67
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Gumeracha, Adelaide Hills
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
metalskin said:
clear as mud now.
borg warner t56 6spd is or isnt gonna be suitable? just hafta see how it goes i spose. ive just had a stainless exhaust system fitted too, will it need to be altered when manual is fitted? she sounds fat crackin nice too!!!
It was brought up 'as clear as mud' in both your other threads that there is no borg warner T56...
 
Top