Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which 6spd manual is tuffest?

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
howdy, was wondering which 6spd box is the tuffest. is the getrag that came in the vs gtsr a good`n and would it cope behind a blown/stroked 5ltr in my vs? is the tremec pretty much the same or is it superior?
its great you guys have so much holden knowlege, cheers.:driving:

Attachments

• DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 125

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just buy a nice hollinger, will handle more than enough for what you want :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
metalskin said:
howdy, was wondering which 6spd box is the tuffest. is the getrag that came in the vs gtsr a good`n and would it cope behind a blown/stroked 5ltr in my vs? is the tremec pretty much the same or is it superior?
its great you guys have so much holden knowlege, cheers.:driving:
Ok mate dont know why you have another thread on this but ill answer. First off the GTS, GTS-R and Senator use a Tremec T56 not a Getrag. Gentrag's where used in the VS SII onwards V6 and the VS SII V8 (5.0lt) these are a fairly week box that is expensive to repair.
What to use depends on how much power the combo will make and how much $$$ you want to spend. There is the TKO 500 (500lbs of torque)& TKO 600 (600lbs). Then there is the tried and true T56 (450lbs) which has the benifit of an additional gear. There is also modified versions of the above, for example there is a company in the US that makes a modified T56 that can handle 800lbs of torque!
AirStrike :air:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
kill -9 said:
Just buy a nice hollinger, will handle more than enough for what you want :)
To give you an idea of the cost of a Hollinger, they cost around $4500 to service!!

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, i have a few other threads going. and as youz can already tell im a bit of a slow learner and gotta ask same question over n over. lol. and im still not too clear.
i have searched the web and got conflicting info, which scatters my noggin.
ive bought an ebay box that seller says its a borg warner T56 6spd (item- 190002518772 ). i do hope it will be suficiant, i guess my car be puting out around 350kw`ish, dunno bout torque. will she go crunch-bang-rattle?

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
clear as mud now.
borg warner t56 6spd is or isnt gonna be suitable? just hafta see how it goes i spose. ive just had a stainless exhaust system fitted too, will it need to be altered when manual is fitted? she sounds fat crackin nice too!!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
There is no such thing as a Borg Warner T56 mate. Do you have a link to it? If its a tremec T56, just put a good clutch (like a textrilla) and it will take the power easy.....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
AirStrike said:
To give you an idea of the cost of a Hollinger, they cost around $4500 to service!!

Didnt say anything about servicng just wanted to kno the best box :p

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
metalskin said:
clear as mud now.
borg warner t56 6spd is or isnt gonna be suitable? just hafta see how it goes i spose. ive just had a stainless exhaust system fitted too, will it need to be altered when manual is fitted? she sounds fat crackin nice too!!!

It was brought up 'as clear as mud' in both your other threads that there is no borg warner T56...