Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which amp ??

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I recently bought some type S alpine speakers for my VT commodore. i bought a set for the front and a set for the rear (front set have tweeters) and the fronts are 240 watt- 80 watt RMS and the rears are the same. What i want to know is a good amp to run theses speakers...?? I Have a kenwwod headunit and i also want to eventually buy a mono block amp and a sub. Help ??

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
It just comes down to your budget, and if you have any brand preferences. It's very much up to personal preference. The best thing you can do is set a budget, and then find a 4 channel amp, or if you want two amps, two 2 channel amps, but I think a 4-channel will do. Just match up power ratings. The power rating of the amp can be a little higher as you can always turn down the gains, but don't get one that's too much higher.

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
well i pretty much have no budget. hahaha whatever floats my boat. haha but i ALSO have 350 watt pioneer 6X9s wich my brothe in law gave me... and was wondering if its worthwhile setting them up in the parcel shelf ??

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No.

Buy a 2 channel amplifier with around 100wrms per channel and just power the front splits off this amp. Power the rear speakers off the head-unit.

Brand is up to you and your budget. The only real difference in between brands are power ratings and cosmetics. The other differences are minimial and shouldnt make too much of a difference to you. Anything from Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion etc etc will be fine, just not one of those cheap Ebay amps ;)

Edit: No i wouldnt worry about the 6x9s, you want 80%+ of the sound coming from the front, not from the rear. Keep it simple and you'll be right.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep thats a decent choice. RMS basically means what the amp can produce all day everyday, as opposed to "max" or "pmpo".

Generally if a manufacturer dosent give "rms" ratings then its a smart move to stay away from that item. Quoting peak and rms values is fine though.

VTCommy

up tha commodores!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
will that AMP be enough tho ?? or do i want something with a bit more ?? Its only 200watt... should i try to find a 350watt amp ??