Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which bolts to undo to remove tailshaft Vy V6 wagon

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I've searched and seached and cannot find anything which tells me which bolts to undo to remove the vy v6 tail shaft (I'm replacing the centre bearing)

One source said to undo the bolts (at the diff end) but not the nuts because they are locked into place, but then another source says remove the nuts but not the bolts because they are locked in place.....conflicting info and you can't fit a ring spanner over the 19 mm nuts anyway on the vy because there is no room.......for my 19 mm sidgechrome anyway and i'm not using an open ender.
Then there are the Torx bolts, one source says they have to be removed....but another source says they don't need removal to get the tailshaft out.......must get that workshop manual.

I'm going to need to use a breaker bar so it would have to be a socket or ring spanner.
I'm trying to download a vy workshop manual, I had one but that's on my other computer which doesn't work now.

As far as I can see there are 3 bolts each end (Diff and Trans) that need to be undone to remove the tailshaft, pretty straight forward really but I don't want to use a breaker bar on a "fixed" nut.....or bolt (bolts are 18mm nuts are 19mm)

I will keep trying to download a workshop manual, I tried a site from a link on this forum but the page can't be found.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've downloaded a manual but it says I practically have to dismantle the entire car to get the tailshaft out........ie remove exhaust flange bolts undo transmission mounts lower transmission, support transmission with a jack undo torx E20 (from Vx onwards) using special socket to remove rubber flange from rear transmission flange etc etc etc etc..........just to get the tailshaft out????? wtf

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Undid the bolts no problems, the three at the back where the tailshaft attaches to the diff housing were very tight as they should be but came undone with a breaker bar with a bit of effort, they undid just the same way that most nuts and bolts undo, didn't need top touch the E20 torx bolts, the rear section of the tailshaft dropped out easily, the tailshaft simply pulled out of the rear of the transmission no problems didn't even spill any trans fluid and I didn't have to touch the exhaust. I only had to undo the three 18/19 mm bolts at the back......I don't know what all the fuss is about with the workshop manual.

Now i just have to split the tailshaft after marking it and replace the centre bearing, I also marked where it re-connects to the diff and trans.......only problem is that the old bearing rubber doesn't seem to bad, not torn anywhere at all but the vibration from the tailshaft was appauling lets hope it isnt something else.

Last edited:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
To get the tailshaft out all that's needed is to undo the three bolts where it attached to the diff housing and it will slide out, may need to undo the cat back section of the exhaust to get it back in but the whole job is really easy.

Hopefully someone else in my situation will find this thread saving them a lot of hassle.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
A VY has doughnuts at each end so you have to undo those and the carrier for the centre bearing? I read that the VY centre bearing is non serviceable and you need to send the whole shaft away to have it replaced?
Beware of the Haynes manual you can download as it covers VT to VY and they are not the same car in many aspects.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
A VY has doughnuts at each end so you have to undo those and the carrier for the centre bearing? I read that the VY centre bearing is non serviceable and you need to send the whole shaft away to have it replaced?
Beware of the Haynes manual you can download as it covers VT to VY and they are not the same car in many aspects.

The centre bearing is definitely serviceable on a VY wagon. Had mine replaced 2 years ago. Mark the halfs, bash the 2 halfs apart. Bash off the centre bearing. Press on the new one. Line up the marks on the 2 halfs prss/bash back together.

As for the donuts, can't remeber but it was still just the 3 torx bolts bolts removed, then the.......shalft slid out from the tranny.............

It's not a difficult job, took my cousin whos been a mechanic for 25 years 20mins to do, and he's never done one until I made him try, he would normally buy a used or New whole replacement due to balancing concerns for his customers.
Fair enough for his concern, my VY i had no issues, he did my VX also, same procedure, and at 25kms it vibrates now. Go figure.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it's serviceable, I did it easily as long as you have a bench and vice. The front rubber tailshaft coupling doesn't need to be undone while it's on the car, the whole tail shaft simply slides out rearwards from the transmission once the three bolts attaching it to the diff housing are undone.You only have to undo the front tailshaft bolts if replacing the front donut. I replaced my centre bearing only to find that it wasn't the problem, now I'm replacing the rear donut because it looks pretty average and the car is now making a similar sound to a wheel groan but only under throttle it stops when I back off, I'm hoping that it's the problem.

Don't have to undo the 3 Torx E20 bolts to get the tailshaft out, but you do have to undo them if replacing the rear donut, which I'm doing, just had to buy a single Torx E20 socket which for some reason only comes in 3/8th drive, I would have thought that 1/2 " would have been better.

DonKorle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim SII
Digging up an old thread,
So I took the Tailshaft out before I really thought about how difficult the 3 torx bolts would be to get out, any suggestion on how to stop the diff spinning while I’m trying to undo the cursed torx ??

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Digging up an old thread,
So I took the Tailshaft out before I really thought about how difficult the 3 torx bolts would be to get out, any suggestion on how to stop the diff spinning while I’m trying to undo the cursed torx ??

I way i just did mine was... undo the diff end bolts on doughnut 18mm bolt 19mm nut, then the centre bearing. Support the box with a jack and remove the cross member. Undo the torx bolts 14mm and slip it out...
I reversed it up on ramps and jacked one side of the car a bit to get under it.