Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which brand fuel do you use?

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
The reason I used BP for a year and a half was that I was speaking to this guy a year and a half ago who's job was to go around to fuel stations and service/clean there underground fuel tanks. He said that the smaller independent stations were the worst their tanks were disgusting and the bigger companies (shell/caltex/mobil etc) weren't much better. But he said that on average BP's tanks were a hell of a lot better than the others so he would only ever use BP. So I took his word on it only ever used BP. But recently I thought ah how do I know if that bloke was just pullin my leg or if he worked for BP or whatever. So tried Shell V-Power and yeah the results are above. Not too sure on the whole tank cleanliness thing, I reckon it depends on the actual fuel stations policy's rather than the brand of the fuel station.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
I filled up at the Coles Shell servo on the corner of Oxley and Sherwood Roads and was surprised at the price difference. E10 102c, ULP 105c and V-Power 118c. Maybe my memory's going but that V-Power sure seems marked up. Ofcourse I used my 4c discount coupon but the difference between them is still the same.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Ever tried E10?

Funny you should say this....get your head around this boys !

NSW Holden and Ford Highway Patrol vehicles use E10 fuel !

If you try and fuel the vehicles with any other fuel the petrol cards will not except payment.

How do I know this ????

You work it out:cops:

veinternational

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE International Dual Fuel
So which service stations do you patronise most? Is it one of the big names like Shell, Caltex or BP or a local mom and pop servo? Is BP fuel that much better?

I mostly buy from Shell or Caltex.

Any Servo with the 4 cent discount, my fuel of choice Go Gas at 48 cpl you can't beat it:yeah:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Funny you should say this....get your head around this boys !

NSW Holden and Ford Highway Patrol vehicles use E10 fuel !

If you try and fuel the vehicles with any other fuel the petrol cards will not except payment.

How do I know this ????

You work it out:cops:

lol all NSW government fleet cards are changing to E10... Because the NSW government has stupid legislation that requires all regular unleaded to be replaced with E10 by 2011 (so no more regular unleaded in NSW by 2011). The government cant exactly say it will be banned but continue using ULP themselves for as long as possible.

Interesting, considering companies like Mobil refuse to bring E10 out in other states because of the issues they are having with it in the eastern states.

Also, most government fleet cards only accept one fuel type as the card is meant to stay with the vehicle. Every new car, means a new card normally and that card only allows the one specified fuel type for the vehicle.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The reason I used BP for a year and a half was that I was speaking to this guy a year and a half ago who's job was to go around to fuel stations and service/clean there underground fuel tanks. He said that the smaller independent stations were the worst their tanks were disgusting and the bigger companies (shell/caltex/mobil etc) weren't much better. But he said that on average BP's tanks were a hell of a lot better than the others so he would only ever use BP. So I took his word on it only ever used BP. But recently I thought ah how do I know if that bloke was just pullin my leg or if he worked for BP or whatever. So tried Shell V-Power and yeah the results are above. Not too sure on the whole tank cleanliness thing, I reckon it depends on the actual fuel stations policy's rather than the brand of the fuel station.

Interesting lol cause the tanks have a man entry...not. You can not get into the tanks. 1.) they are underground and 2.) the only other entrances are the fill point and the vent point. So i'd love to know how he goes about cleaning tanks for a living :) Especially when the big servo's have their own contracted company for most on site work.

kgb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
E10 isn't as bad as people think it is, in fact, V-Power 100 is E05, thus showing that shell is willing to use it.

As far as i knew it was only bad for leaded/old vehicles.

I ran my Soarer/SC400 on it for 4 years, never had a single issue with fuel systems in the car.

New VEs actually list E10 suitable on the inside of the filler.

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
Mobil is trying to off load all its retail outlets in Australia.

Remember most states only have 2 refineries , for example victoria only has Shell & Mobil.
BP , Caltex etc all buy fuel from these two refineries

V- power 100 was acutally V-power racing which is no longer made , you can only buy v-power which is 98 ron.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Slightly off-topic but what are the advantages of getting a fuel card?

I don't pay for the fuel :dance:

Unfortunately, it's not always true.

Most leasing arrangements (i.e. novated leases) pass the fuel bill straight onto the employee. They are simply a cash-less payment method.

The nice thing is the fuel is half price! (pre-tax)

I think Reaper was talking about a employee fuel card, as i have.. i don't pay anything i don't even see the bill;)

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
i read the manual on suggested fuel for the vz..said ethanol is ok but not more then 10%..which is fine by me because i use regular unleaded from shell and only shell..for some reason i think the ethanol promotes a funny smell after being burnt..like wen sitting in a traffic jam and u can smell exhaust fumes all i can smell is wierd smelling fumes from other cars..:whistling