Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Dexos1 oil? 2011 ->

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Hi guys,
Just wondering which oils ppl are using? The manual for my MY12 VE says the oil must be Dexos1 approved, which just seems like GM trying to extract licensing $ out of oil companies. Apparently all VE's after 2011 are supposed to have Dexos1 oil.
Anyhoo, I guess I need to run it in case of some oil burning issues or engine failure, and I would hate them to do oil analysis and find out that my top up was not Dexos1. Can they even do that?
I have always used Penrite Oils and found them to do the job. The only Dexos approved one they have seems to be Enviro+ GF-5 5W-30.
Went down to local well reputed national auto parts franchise store and they didn't have any, in fact all they had in Dexos1 was Mobil1. They were even surprised I was asking for it, they didn't really know about the Dexos thing and reckon they have not had any other requests.
I see Shell Helix X8 AG is also Dexos1 now.
Just wondering what others using?

BruceSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS auto
Autobarn stock the Penrite Enviro+ GF5 and so do Burson Auto Parts, who also stock Fuchs who have Dexos certified oils. I bought some AC Delco Dexos 1 from Holden Parts, but I noticed it is only API SM whereas the others are SN.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Stube

A familiar story insofar as locating the Dexos oils is concerned. I had to contact Penrite to tell me where I could get their Enviro plus Dexos 1 5w/30 GF5 oil in Sydney because no Penrite retailer I visited had it. Lousy distribution in my view as the 2011-2012 VE is hardly a rare breed and GM has been stipulating Dexos 1 and 2 oils globally for their engines since 2011 for petrol (DX 1)and diesel engines (DX 2).

I use Mobil 1 Dexos 1 5w/30 as it is readily available.

If you want a cheap Dexos 1 spec oil just for top up purposes Valvoline make a semi synthetic Durablend DX-1 5w/30 .....here...http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore...-oil/durablend-dx-1-synthetic-blend-motor-oil
My local Repco store stocks it in 5 litr containers - about $50.
It is not GM licensed or GM tested but is the correct formulation so you will fine using it if you wish. (They also do a fully synthetic DX1 5w/30 product (not GM licensed) but it is only available in 20 litre ).

Here is the latest global list of Dexos 1 oils:
GM dexos information center

There is a range of Castrol 5w/30 Dexos 1 oils on the list but good luck trying to find the product on the shelves.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Castrol Edge Titanium is now Dexos 1 approved. I am sure the original Edge Titanium is exactly the same formula without the licence fee. That's what I use in both my MY11 SV6 and MY12.5 Clubsport R8

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
It is my understanding that Castrol oils in Australia are not GM Dexos certified oils. Their oil technical section does say that their edge range meets Dexos specs.

In the U.S. selected Castrol oils do have the Dexos certification. If you have referred to a list of GM Dexos approved oils, it will be the US produced stuff.

The ACDelco (GM) packaged Dexos 1 and 2 are produced by Fuchs Australia. Keep in mind though, the ACDelco Dexos 1 oil has a viscosity rating @ 100degree C of only 9, compared with 12 of other brands. The higher the rating the better wear protection at full operating temp and during hot summers.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
It's all good thanks. My store got the Penrite Enviro+ GF5 in today for me. Only $45 for 5lt with my Auto Club discount. Was expecting a lot more, although the non discount price would be approx $57. 5lt should keep me going with top ups for while.