Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Disc Pads to buy??

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Jock, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Jock

Jock New Member

Hi All,
    I have to get some new front disc pads for my VpCommodore wagon. I reckon it is time to learn how to do it myself. I have a manual, space and everything that is required except the pads and any useful hints. The wagon has 192,000 kms on it but i'm not sure when the rotors were last replaced.
    Hope someone can give me some tips.
    Cheers
    Jock

2. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

You will need to messure the width of the disc. Do the front brakes pulsate?
    I Use and reccomend Ferodo Excel pads.
    Make sure the wire springs are in correctly when putting the new pads in.
    Take you time taking it apart, so you know how to put it back together.

3. Jock

Jock New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    The brakes don't pulsate at all. Can I use a standard digital caliper to measure the thickness of the disks?

4. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

mm not really. When the disc wears it leaves a lip at the top. If yours has cut outs in it then you can use it but if its straight, then tou shouldnt

5. NORTI

NORTI Crazy VS lady

Members Ride:
    Gen 2’s
    hmm yes, Me thinks I should do mine....;) today even lol

D.

6. Jock

Jock New Member

Do you have to replace the pivot bolts like the manual says or do you just put some loctite or something similar on the bolts?
    Cheers
    Jock

7. gone_nutz13

gone_nutz13 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN BT1 - 5.0
    i use the ferodo pads aswell, they work great!!
    i just undid one caliper bolt, loosened the other and rotated the caliper out, then the old pads fall out, take your reservoir cap off and use a clamp to push the caliper piston in (might have to take some fluid out to stop it overflowing everywhere)
    slot new pads in, put caliper back on over disc, tighten up and bam your done

8. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

You dont need to replace the pivot bolts. Use the manual as a guide only. Any book other then the genuine holden books are crap. Grease your slides as well.

9. Jock

Jock New Member

Thanks for the advice so far. Have pulled the pads from one side to check and there appears to be quite a bit of pad material still available. The pads have a groove down the middle and the grove is still a couple of mm deep. I did notice that the brake fluid was about halfway between max and min. Perhaps that is the reason for the reduced braking??
    Anyway what are the visible signs that the pads are worn out? or should I just top up the fluid and see how that goes.
    Cheers
    Jock

10. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

Usually replace them if the pad metirial is the same width as the plate. As the pad wears from there it starts to get into the glue that bonds it to the plate.
    Check all 4 pads for uneven wear.

11. OVA17

OVA17 New Member

Members Ride:
    '92 VP EXECUTIVE
    i have ferodo they stop good but are ****!!! i have to clean my 18's everyday. they are brand new, but thinking about replacing them already as it shits me off. going to go to a bendix high performance pad.

KADE

12. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    Hey all, for my expenses you get info. Just the other day I was booked in to get my rotors machined and new pads fitted. I was later informed that day that my rotors were under legal width and needed replacing, so i had to buy ALL new disk rotors plus i got high perofrmance ceramic bendix pads all round. She dosn't squeek or squeel an ounce and braking performance is much beter, overall it cost me $514 tho, But it had to get done i suppose.

13. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty
    Bendix is better, didnt like Ferodo pads.

14. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

Ive had 2 many problems with Bendix. Id perfer to use Protec then Bendix. Ferodo all the way.

15. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    If you go as far a pulling the slides outyou need use special silicon based grease as regular grease isn't designed to handle high temps like the brakes can get up to. u can use a 'G' clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. i don't think it matters which brand of pads u use cause if you got shine mags you'll spend a lot of time cleaning them hehehehe but do get some sort of performance pad, standard pads suck unless you drive like a granny. minimum width for the rotor is 21mm i beleive but the thinner the rotor the less heat it can handle and therefore more brake fade earlier. hell spend some more bucks and get the hopper stoppers 300mm upgrade with the twin piston VT calipers and get a 1" master cylinder, i believe they have a 15/16" standard master cylinder.:yeah: