Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Fuel?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
what do you all think that the best fuel to use is? ive used nothing but mobil unleaded in my car/cars for 3 years and never had a problem. ive seen alot of people say good things about BP ultimate and shell optimax. but in all seriousness... what is the best to use? and is there really much difference in using premium or regular? ive also heard mobil synergy is an excellent fuel but because (as i was told by a guy from the local mobil) 'because canberra is considered to be a small town, they see no point shipping it here because of that fact'.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I spoke about this a little in another thread and can't be bothered mentioning it all again
I'd run it on a HDHO fuel over PULP and you shouldn't be running your pride and joy on old school unleaded . Optimax has had good reports but I've also heard negatives, particularly from turbo Skyline drivers.

B.P Ultimate is the general consensus. Fill up with a tank, reset your ECU, record your economy and you'll get a pleasant surprise.

Jake

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the"Other Thread" to help you understand what I mean by HDHO fuels.

Jake

R

Rajah

I started using Optimax on my old VR Berlina and found that I got a lot better economy. At that time I was doing a lot of city work, using the freeway most days and I would get between 60 and 80 kms extra per tank as opposed to regular. The extra cost of the Optimax wasn't a problem, seeing as I got more per tank. With my current non-mentionable car, I have run PULP ever since I have had it. I usually fill up at Mobil as I can pay at the pump and I'm getting lazy in my old age, so paying instore at Shell is something I couldn't be bothered doing. Slack I know. I have found the BP PULP is a bit cheaper than the other PULP on the market. I haven't done any comparisons with my car on regular or PULP but I will continue to use PULP.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Yeah I recomend Optimax or BP Gold or whatever they call it. It's cheap but has high octane level. I never go for regular unleaded. I reckon with my VR I got maybe 40km more with Premium. No Idea with my VX cause i'm still on my first tank of fuel.. lol.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
there's basically 3 types of unleaded fuel, 91, 95 and 98 RON on the market. it's hard to compare the brands because as you might be aware, some BPs will just use shell fuel, and the other way around, depending on distribution needs.

if your car only needs 91, it's hard to justify putting 98 RON petrol in it. the premium fuels do have detergents in them, some people believe they help clean out your engine.

R

Robbie

Hi guys,

I use Optimax, I have for about 3 years now.... On 2 occasions I have not been able to get it, I used Mobil's Premium, and an Ampols Premium... Neither gave me the same economy or performance.... Mobil's gave me a lot less Km's for the same driving conditions... You do have a slight price difference but i just prefer Optimax these days..

Cheers,

Robbie

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Yeah I gotta say Mobil is always more expensive than any other place and the fiel is nowehere as good. I even got a batch of fiel from Liberty which ran better.. lol

D

d hsv

I've used Optimax for a long time now. I had to fill up with something else the other day, and my car was running like crap, and it didn't click what was different until I put some Optimax in. After that it was fine again. Smoother, more powerful... God, I sound like a bloody rep for shell!

mr-spares

Reaction score
Members Ride
HRT UTE 355 supercharged
We have used all the above mentioned fuels on the engine dyno over the years back to back and seperate. The most important thing to consider is age. The top end additives that give PULP it's 98 ron are prone to evaporate. Buy from high turn over stations to insure fresh fuel. I run my supercharged VS ute on optimax from the busiest station in Melbourne. With boost they get sensative to change. On the dyno the shell stuff consistantly out performes the others easly and that is what I stick with. If you get your car tuned, stick with the fuel you tune it on.

This would be a good Poll subject to see what the most popular is?

Tony.