Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which full exhaust system to upgrade to

Siebz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hi guys
I'm looking at upgrading the stock exhaust system on my 2004 VY and looking at all these different options I'd like to know your thoughts on what should go for. Budget is $2k and want a bit of extra performance and sound is not a problem for me. Also what do you guys think. Go 2.5 inch or 3 inch. Which has a better sound for a V6 VY?

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
With a budget of $2K, you can replace the whole lot; extractors cat/s depending on whether it's series 1 early 2 or late 2 with twin cats. Won't increase performance that much though. If it's just noise you're after, put a decent cat back on it and do high ratio rockers and intake manifold spacers and a get a good tune. That will give you more than an exhaust "upgrade".

Siebz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
With a budget of $2K, you can replace the whole lot; extractors cat/s depending on whether it's series 1 early 2 or late 2 with twin cats. Won't increase performance that much though. If it's just noise you're after, put a decent cat back on it and do high ratio rockers and intake manifold spacers and a get a good tune. That will give you more than an exhaust "upgrade".
Cheers mate. Is there any difference between a cat back, red back or any other brands? Thinking of going 3 inch

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't go 3", they sound horrible on a V6. 2 1/2" is better. Redback are OK.

H

harrop.senator

My advice is buy a used set up. $4-500 will usually get you headers , y pipe , cat and catback if it's a single cat model.