Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which HVAC evaporator?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I went to order a new evaporator core for my manual 2003 VY 3.8 S (Series I). From memory built April 2003.

I was told there are two different evaporator cores and the change over occurred about the time my car was built. The difference between the two cores apparently is where the pipes come out of the core. I don't have the core out of the car yet so I don't know for sure how the pipes on my one are fitted to the core.

Are there actually two different cores for the RHD models? The workshop manual says the cores are different between the left and right hand drive versions but there is no mention of differences between various RHD models.

Can anyone clarify this for me please? Thanks in advance.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I maybe wrong,
but I think the cores are the same across the VY Range, going by the inlet/outlet pipes,
as I have worked on our VT Series 2 Berlina when we had it, and my 2002 VX Series 2 Berlina Wagon,
and a few friends and families VT's & VY's, and they all look similar,
Compressors [are the same], TX Valves, Condensers and the AC plumbing look the same.
But I may be wrong in saying that they are same across the V6 variants.
Where 2003 was a series 2 model.
Where the VY Series 1 finished around approx. Sept/Oct 2002.

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the dates for Series I and II. I'm fairly sure the Series II (Facelift model) had the wing mirrors painted the same as the body colour (Series I were all black) and the Series II had 17 inch rims whereas the Series I had 16 inch rims.

Based on the mirrors and rims mine is a Series I, first registered to Holden New Zealand (it was driven by a Holden New Zealand employee as their company car) in May 2003. Pretty sure the data plate says April 2003 build date.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Which ever type you have, get a genuine one. Jayair do after market ones. The one for my VP was buggered. The one for my VE did not fit. Nor did the evaporator core.

Genuine slotted straight into place.

Would be a good idea to do the evap core at the same time, because removing the HVAC is not a fun job.

Even going to the wreckers and getting a HVAC assembly from a similar build date, overhaul it in advance, and then drop it in as soon as the old one comes out. They are manky as inside and need a clean. New seals on internals etc. A good chance to do that and speed up the job by heaps.