Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which oil filter for an ecotec?

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi all,

I used to get my car serviced under warranty at Holden, and they always used either a GM stamped filter, or a Cooper filter... and now getting it serviced at K-Mart Tyre & Auto, they use Ryco...

What's a better oil filter? I always get Castrol Magnatec, which seems like a good oil for my particular car - but I'm not too sure about the filter! I might get them to put in something a bit better, and my car is getting on in km's so I might want to make sure it has a lot of life left...

Are the "pureone" filters (which sell for around $15 a supercheap auto) worth the extra $10 over the ryco/valvoline they sell?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've always used the genuine filters, see no need to change since i've never had a problem.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Just purchase some genuine filters from the spare parts department at your Holden dealer.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
gogoboygareth said:
Hi all,

I used to get my car serviced under warranty at Holden, and they always used either a GM stamped filter, or a Cooper filter... and now getting it serviced at K-Mart Tyre & Auto, they use Ryco...

If you look Cooper filters actually come from Korea, least the ones in my old Camry did.

If you dont want a GM one goto supers#it and get a Pureone filter. They are one of the best filters that arnt a performance filter.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
The decision is yours Gareth.....

Either buy genuine Holden or aftermarket.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
just use the Ryco or valvoline....its more than adeqaute and at under $10 is good value

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I just use the genuine ones from holden, and usually buy a few at a time as I change my oil every 5000kms. Costs about $9 each, which is pretty much lineball with the ryco et al. Also pick up a few sump plug rings at the same time from GMH

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
i just did my oil change last week. i used the Ryco model. Have been happy with that. Paid $8.99 for it at Autobarn.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i use the pure one filters on my ecotec, they seem to be the goods. id use a k&n if they would fit, last time i got one it was too long and hit the chassis.