Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Oil?????

A Team

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute (series II)
What oil is best for a VE SS Series II?

Car has done about 40k's. Its a ute that used for work so it carries a bit of weight, a mixture of highway and city driving.

I have asked in a few different stores what they recommend and have got all different responses.

Any feedback will be of great help.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I use royal purple for everything in my ute, and their oil filter, personal choice

however you cant go wrong with most the oils solong as u stay within the right vicositys and weight ect

the key is changing is regurally, i do mine every 5000 - 6000k oil and filter

A Team

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute (series II)
I did do a search both here and on other forums but most are talking about the L98 engine not the L76 thats in the Series II. From what i have read it seems that they use different oils.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I did do a search both here and on other forums but most are talking about the L98 engine not the L76 thats in the Series II. From what i have read it seems that they use different oils.

there arnt different oils for each motor, just use a 5w30 or a 10w40 and a well known brand all will be fine

M

magnumv8

Nothing but Penrite full synthetic for me for the last 12yrs its currently in the wifes odyssey and my VY and WB Magnum. Only oil that keeps the pressure up in my old magnum.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Series 2 run an L77 engine.

Having said that, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, fully synthetic.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Use what the manual suggests.

Asking what oil is the "best" on a forum is like asking a hooker what's the best sex. Everyone has a different opinion on oil.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
5w30 is the recommended viscosity in a fairly new VE SS by the manufacturer. Holden use a semi synthetic castrol magnatec 5w30 from factory and if you service at holden. HSV standard fill at holden is mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. Whilst semi synthetic is certainly adequate (otherwise why would a manufacturer send the car out with it) I think the benefits of fully synthetic far outweigh the extra spend. For me, I use the mobil 1 5w30 and I just bought 6 litres yesterday in a supercheap auto promotion for $87. Castrol edge full synthetic 5w30 has been on sale in recent times for $39.95 per 5L at the same shop though its currently $59.95 (still a bargain)

The main thing is to use the recommended viscosity of 5w30 per holden. My L77 holds nearly 8 litres so one would think that extends the oil life out a bit and I like the idea of extra protection from the full synthetic when the engine is cold if i want to rev it out etc. Holden should just be putting the fully synthetic in from the start the buggers.