Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which oil

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
Hey guys, can anybody tell me which oil I should be using in my W557 package on my gts.
I've heard that mobil one and the likes don't cut it any more due to the mods.
I can't seem to find a consensus on which is the best...tried and proven.

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Without realising it, you've just entered into a religious discussion ... :)

In reality, you simply need to follow manufacturer's specifications for the oil.
I don't 100% know, but I'd be massively surprised if Mobil One doesn't meet or exceed whatever HSV &/or Walkenstick say you should be using.

However, some oils don't seem to last as long as others. If you're doing changes to the book in terms of time alone because you're not doing the km's to replace it every X km rather than every 9 months, then I reckon pretty much any oil should be fine as long as it meets specifications.

But I'm still onboard with the whole religious experience. I personally think Nulon & Penrite are the bees' knees, and I'd be using a full synthetic offering by one of those two (in the appropriate rating - what is that, 5W30?) if I were blessed enough to be running a Gen F GTS mit a W557 kit.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Word of advice most off shelf oils Castroll ,Mobil ,Pen ect are great for your sisters Camry most degrade quite fast another thing to utterly ignore is factory recommendations after all look how well they're doing now , also if you had fill for life oils do Not fill for life!change all oils a before they degrade not after! Brands like Philips / connoco or Fuchs offer synthetic oils that have no comparison to what Holden or repco will sell u . Personally in all high output applications I now only use Kendall gt1 u will not find a better performing and longer lasting motor oil for the dollar

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Avoid The 5w30 it's as thin as they can take no room for error 10/40 syn won't kick up oil pressure much but will be better protected over all and lifters in those have no trouble going a lil thicker

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Avoid The 5w30 it's as thin as they can take no room for error 10/40 syn won't kick up oil pressure much but will be better protected over all and lifters in those have no trouble going a lil thicker
What's the basis for using an oil that's outside manufacturer specification?

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
I typically use penrite mineral for break ins then straight to full syn

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I typically use penrite mineral for break ins then straight to full syn
Yes the very well-respected head builder who did the one on my project car said to do exactly this, except he said Nulon was as good too.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Manufacturers spend a hell of a lot on r and d the biggest area they concentrate on is the warranty period, in the last 20 or so years I've had countless findings with flaws in emission systems combined with poor factory pcvs better oils will only make it last longer Holden in particular has never used verry high grade oils they are just high priced and actually don't perform well under extreme conditions at all! That goes for diffs , engine , trans even power steer can be made to last longer by ditching oem oil

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
But the yanks have been doing it longer and they have a couple of dollars for oil dev