Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which oil

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
And with 5w-30 being the factory recommended engine oil for both V6 and V8s, it would be strongly recommended that you keep to it especially if your car is under warranty. Use a full synthetic 5w-30 from any of the major reputable brands like Mobil 1, Castrol, Penrite... You won't go wrong.

Rather that than any keyboard expert as they won't be the one fixing my engine if something goes wrong.

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
Hi Jase ,
I have pretty much the same car well engine anyway LSA HSV Maloo with the W557 kit , I am due an oil change also for its 20k service
I just called Walkinshaw in Melbourne they said go with what Holden HSV recommend which is Mobil 1 5W -30
So Im going with what they recommend not what the keyboard experts suggest .
Thank for that mate, but the manual says 5w 30. Its due its 40k service.

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
And with 5w-30 being the factory recommended engine oil for both V6 and V8s, it would be strongly recommended that you keep to it especially if your car is under warranty. Use a full synthetic 5w-30 from any of the major reputable brands like Mobil 1, Castrol, Penrite... You won't go wrong.

Rather that than any keyboard expert as they won't be the one fixing my engine if something goes wrong.
Thank mate, I will be using Nulon 5w 30 fully sync....After a lot of research.
Cheers

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Thank mate, I will be using Nulon 5w 30 fully sync....After a lot of research.
Cheers

Great choice. I personally do use the Mobil 1 product without issues but I wouldn't have hesitation in switching to others like Penrite or Nulon anytime. Mind you I don't have a modified or tuned engine so for me everything is factory.

Anyway Page 303 of the owners manual clearly shows 5w30 as the recommended oil across the range of V6s and V8s so I'm not sure where some of the other recommended options stated earlier have come from but it ain't official!

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
Great choice. I personally do use the Mobil 1 product without issues but I wouldn't have hesitation in switching to others like Penrite or Nulon anytime. Mind you I don't have a modified or tuned engine so for me everything is factory.

Anyway Page 303 of the owners manual clearly shows 5w30 as the recommended oil across the range of V6s and V8s so I'm not sure where some of the other recommended options stated earlier have come from but it ain't official!
Yeah, the $30 price tag for 5L of Nulon on special at Repco was handy as well.
Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

You gotta ask yourself, how many years does the manufacturer want your engine to last before you need to go and buy another car...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You gotta ask yourself, how many years does the manufacturer want your engine to last before you need to go and buy another car...
While I think that's a fair question, I doubt they're as concerned about future repeat business after failure as they are about the cost of supplies vs the marketing benefits of using a household-name brand.
If all 10yo Commodores started assploding all over the place, and Holden were still in the market, it'd be a PR/sales disaster!

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Yeah, I chose not to go with mobil 1, to many conflicting reports in regards to lifter wear on lumpy cams.
Would be interested to see some of those reports Jase ,
I wouldn't really consider the Walki a lumpy big cam . It is quite mild compared to what I had in the VE
which did have a cam bearing fail on Nulon ! but that was most likely caused by missing a change and the tune with lots of overlap .
The Holden dealership use Castrol , I am asking for the Mobil 1 upgrade . I have a mate with a highly worked GTS punching out crazy numbers with lots of boost . He tells me to use the Mobil 1- 0 , but after as I said speaking with Wakinshaw I will go with their recommendation
I do not confess to be an oil expert and my keyboard warrior game is weak LOL.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The Holden dealership use Castrol , I am asking for the Mobil 1 upgrade.
There's not necessarily a problem with the Catrol, depending on what they're using of course.
Back in The Day (late 90's), for example, Castrol Formula-R was a better oil (and considerably more exxy) than Mobil 1.