Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which oil

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The Penrite Ten Tenths oil is the premium full syntheitc oil it has a increased zinc content.
The increased zinc content is there to cushion parts under high pressure like cam rollers under higher pressure with heavy springs.

Mobil, Nulon, Penrite ect are all good brands.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There's not necessarily a problem with the Catrol, depending on what they're using of course.
Back in The Day (late 90's), for example, Castrol Formula-R was a better oil (and considerably more exxy) than Mobil 1.

Castrol is a good brand BMW still recomends it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If all 10yo Commodores started assploding all over the place, and Holden were still in the market, it'd be a PR/sales disaster!
I don't want to derail this thread, but have you seen how many people are having to replace their Alloytec these days? Admittedly most due to timing chain woes but still. My hunch is that car makers want their cars to survive just past 200,000km. Personally I want my car to reach 400,000 so I question everything that goes into it. I am much happier using 5W40 oil in it any day of the week.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't want to derail this thread, but have you seen how many people are having to replace their Alloytec these days? Admittedly most due to timing chain woes but still. My hunch is that car makers want their cars to survive just past 200,000km. Personally I want my car to reach 400,000 so I question everything that goes into it. I am much happier using 5W40 oil in it any day of the week.

A lot of issues with the alloytech engines relate back to oil recommendations. For a long period netlube was recomending semi synthetic which is fine if you follow the adverse conditions regime. Netlube and most oil companies revised their recommendations to full synthetic only, because everyone was doing 15k intervals on semi syntheticic oil.
If you do 7,500km service intervals with full synthetic oil the engine will last a lot longer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't want to derail this thread, but have you seen how many people are having to replace their Alloytec these days?
Isn't the fact that early Alloytech engines were hand-grenades a well known fact which DID cause Holden sales problems by the time they were making the ones that don't assplode all over the place, and they spent a lot of time & money telling everyone "they are OK now" - and yet which still stopped people buying VF's? So exactly the sort of sales/marketing problem I'm talking about?

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
Would be interested to see some of those reports Jase ,
I wouldn't really consider the Walki a lumpy big cam . It is quite mild compared to what I had in the VE
which did have a cam bearing fail on Nulon ! but that was most likely caused by missing a change and the tune with lots of overlap .
The Holden dealership use Castrol , I am asking for the Mobil 1 upgrade . I have a mate with a highly worked GTS punching out crazy numbers with lots of boost . He tells me to use the Mobil 1- 0 , but after as I said speaking with Wakinshaw I will go with their recommendation
I do not confess to be an oil expert and my keyboard warrior game is weak LOL.
Yeah, I saw the reports on YouTube....nothing official though.
My cam is not a walkie recommended one, I went as lumpy as I could b4 Morpowa wouldnt warranty it any more.
I ask Simon from morpowa about mobil 1, he said a blunt NO.