Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which one?

buswelltj

Buzzy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh
I am looking at building a 355 for my vh, and was wondering what motor to base thre rebuild on? red, blue or black? I have read that the black 304 would be the choice but is there really much difference? cheers.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if you get a late model (VT i think, but am willing to be corrected) you will have the bores relieved for the larger throw of a 355 and 4 bolt mains from factory.

it will also have efi heads which would make an awesome starting point for a stroker.

red blue and black are basically the same. there are a few changes to the front oil squirter for the timing chain and a bit of reinforcing for the crank in the front and rear. but if you have the cash and want to make power easier then you cant go past the later model blocks.

EFI heads kick the crap out of cast heads powerwise. it doesnt need to be efi, you can still run a carby and air cleaner to make the car look a bit more stock, but it means you will have to sort out cam, inlet manifold and extractors to suit EFI as they are different between the two.