Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which option

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok the paint on both my front and rear bars is starting to peal in big chunks . Looks like they have been resprayed at some stage. Just wondering what woild be the best option. A) get both bars stripped and resprayed . B) buy 2bars from the wreckers in good condition in any color and get them resprayed C) buy 2 aftermarket bars for approximately $500 each including paint and hope they fit as good as the genuine part . Color is alto grey . Thanks in advance

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Assuming your bars are in otherwise good condition, Option A.....Option B makes no sense as just extra cost.

Wouldn't even consider option C.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Assuming your bars are in otherwise good condition, Option A.....Option B makes no sense as just extra cost.

Wouldn't even consider option C.
Thanks for your input mate . With option B was thinking that purchasing two bars would work out cheaper than having to strip both bars as the paint peeling is all over . Starts with small micro blisters then it bubbles up and pearls off so the complete bar will have to be rubbed back .

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Fair point.

Might be time to get some quotes from painters on options A & B.

Just avoid C.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They normally use paint stripper to get the old gear off. So labor won't be hrs and hours on the sander.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Can you safely use stripper on painted plastic parts.?
Wouldn't stripper hurt plastic?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its fine on Vr ute corner tub mouldings thats how i stripped mine. It only eats the paint won't eat plastic. Paint stripper and the karcher works awesome on bumpers and mouldings. Even the lid on the can is plastic.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I wouldn’t use paint stripper on plastic. Paint itself is a polymer (plastic) after all.

I’d find panels in good used condition and have them resprayed. If the existing paint is flaking or damaged, there’s a good chance it’s been resprayed before with poor prep etc. too much effort to strip and will probably cost you more.