Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Pads???

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0/vy sv8/r31 rb20
Hey guys, I have just done the brakes on my vn calais with slotted front and rear disks and i used lucas pads on the back and Bendix general ct on the front but they dont seem to pull up as best as i expected. a friend of mine just put ebc green pads on his subaru and they work excelent with plenty of feel. wat do you use and recomend?

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea a mechanic mate of mine did it for me

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
green stuff is a highly recommended pad, no brake dust either, red stuff is your track orientated pad, so unless they get hot enough, they wil squeal, bendix unltimate are highly recommended, but produce a lot of dust

hope that helps

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
lucas arent the best pad. they produce major amounts of dust.
bendex ultamates are the pad i use. exelent stoping power.
ebc green are just as good if not better

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Just helped my bro...

New set of DBA GOLD Slotted & X-Drilled rotors On the rear... with Bendix Ultimate pads. :)

Cheers
MaT

P.S- Pic after we BED them in...

Attachments

• DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 200

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks heaps guys i think i will go the ebc greens they work fantastic on the subaru. its funny though the rears lock up quite easily in the dry in hard braking but i think it could just be poor choice of pad but thanx alot guys

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
I'm running greenstuff with DBA x-drill slot rotor all round with the VT front setup for over 6 months. Definatly better then the ultimate pads in dust and braking and slightly lower rotor wear (got brake fade after 4 hard braking, greenstuff none so far).
QFM is good pad where it doesn't release much dust but not very good to the rotor causing it to warp and serious brake fade with my experience.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
P.S- Pic after we BED them in...

That would have to be the aggressive bed in procedure I have ever seen. I have seen this after track use or mountain decents, but for bed in it’s a little over the top.

Just so everyone knows, the idea of bedding in is to set the glues in the pads and get a clean surface ready for brake applications. You will reduce the efficiency of your disc pads is you over heat them during bedding in.

To bed in a new set of pads you accelerate to 50 - 60kph and brake till your doing 10kph then accelerate (not like a drag race) and brake again to 10kph. You should not come to a complete stop if you can help it. Repeat this 6 - 8 times. Never hold the brakes on while accelerating, and never bring them to the point where they start to smoke.

The idea is to get the pads to a good temp and hold them there for a period of time.

Back on topic: The bendix CT's are a pad for mums and dads. If you want performance braking you'll need to get a pad with a higher friction rating like Ultimates or simular. Remember everything is a compromise. More friction gives quicker stops, but will lead to increased pad and/or rotor wear, and in most cases more dust.

Jezz